Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

N-Sample Digital Output from DAQ

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to use LabVIEW to control some applications like Digital Recievers, Air Conditioners, MP3 Players and so. For LabVIEW to control the applications it needs to interface somehow with the microcontroller of theapplication itself. To do that, a simple way is to see how the remote controlof an application interacts with it then create an exact replica of the signalsthat come out of the remote control then send it to the application.

Byresearch in the internet, I found that a remote control transmits a certaindigital waveform with a certain digital sequence (e.g for button 1:code01000001, Volume Up:code 01000010) for each button pressed, then transmittedvia IR signals to the application. So I need to use LabVIEW in order to createthese digital waveforms then send them to the application (not necessarily viaIR signals but may be via wires going into the input port of themicrocontroller of the application).But to create these digital waveforms fromthe computer into real voltage signals we need a DAQ (Data Acquisition)terminal to be connected to the computer.

I've tried using USB-6008 and USB-6211 to generate digital waveforms of N-Samples but an error always appears "The Requested Value is not a supported value of the property".

Any idea how to solve my general issue of how to control the applications, or about what DAQ to use to solve this problem. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,182 Views)

Hi Dodgy,

Have you taken a look at the Example Finder in LabVIEW?  If you navigate the folders, and go through Hardware Input and Output » DAQmx » Digital Generation, you should see an example named Write Dig Port.vi which will allow you to select a hex code and send out commands via the port you select.  If you are looking for a more boolean control interface, try looking at the Write Dig Chan.vi, where you can select the bits that are high and low, and then send that command.  These examples can be modified to fit your needs, whether you need to send multiple commands or a sequence of commands. 

In regards to which hardware to used, both have software timed DIO so you will not see any difference between the two.  The 6008 offers additional DIO lines while the 6211 is limited.  If your application uses analog signals, the 6211 should fare better with a higher sampling rate, more channels, and better precision.

Kyle A.
National Instruments
Senior Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,164 Views)