From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ho to recover a deleted device in NI-MAX

Hello,
I accidently deleted a USB-6501 device in NI-MAX (8.1) and am unable to get that device back. I tried:

• unplug / plugin the USB-6501
  • uninstall / reinstall NI-MAX
  • uninstall / reinstall the USB drivers for the USB-6501
The device is still invisible in NI-MAX, but appears as present and ready to use in the  Windows device manager...

What can I do to get that device back?

Thanks,
Greg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,210 Views)

Hi Greg_NTI,

How does the device show up in Device Manager? It should show up under "Data Acquisition Devices". If it doesn't, you'll want to update the driver and make sure that you're selecting the correct driver. If it is showing up correctly in Device Manager but not in MAX, your uninstall/reinstall may not have removed all of MAX's settings. When you uninstalled/reinstalled MAX, did you delete the "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\MAX" folder if it was still there? You might want to check on this. If that doesn't work, I would recommend calling in for support from www.ni.com/contact. This should make trouble-shooting easier.  

Let us know what you find out,

Andrew S.

National Instruments

Message 2 of 5
(4,188 Views)

Hello Andrew,

manually deleting the  "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\MAX" folder between the uninstall/reinstall does the trick!

Thanks a lot!
Greg

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,156 Views)

Hi,

I accidentally deleted NI MAX by disabling a few ni processes trying to unistall and reinstall my lab view. Now I am unable to unistall it completely or reinstall it. I am facing a lot of trouble.Could you please help?

@stilly32 wrote:

Hi Greg_NTI,

How does the device show up in Device Manager? It should show up under "Data Acquisition Devices". If it doesn't, you'll want to update the driver and make sure that you're selecting the correct driver. If it is showing up correctly in Device Manager but not in MAX, your uninstall/reinstall may not have removed all of MAX's settings. When you uninstalled/reinstalled MAX, did you delete the "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\MAX" folder if it was still there? You might want to check on this. If that doesn't work, I would recommend calling in for support from www.ni.com/contact. This should make trouble-shooting easier.  

Let us know what you find out,

Andrew S.

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,479 Views)

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that. The smallest install you can do that installs NI MAX is NI SysConfig, have you tried installing the latest version of SysConfig to see if this repairs your MAX?

The download can be found here:

"NI System Configuration 15.0"

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-system-configuration-15.0.0/5454/en/

Otherwise if you already have 15.0 you can try force-reinstalling SysConfig from the command window as described here (instead of navigating to NI VISA you would navigate to NI System Configuration):

"Force Reinstall NI Software from the Command Prompt in Windows"

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/ADD22E807D5A12AD862579EC00760F79

Hope this helps!

Selene
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,468 Views)