Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO CONNECT the INCREMENTAL ENCODER with DAQpad-6015?

Hi,

I am trying to use NI DAQpad-6015 measuring the incremental encoder output and to calculate the speed. I hooked the +5v  and gound of encoder to the digital I/O +5v and gound terminals of NI. Hook the index , CHA, CHB to digital terminals. But when I do the configuration, it didn't show they are connected, what's the problem? How to connect correctly?My encoder output is 100 pusles.

Thanks,

Alyssa
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,789 Views)
Does anybody help me?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,786 Views)
1. You can refer to M serial User's Manual Page 7-15  for the Encoder measurement principle.
http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/9F6B44D406AE5C6E86257221006EE8A5

2.There isn't index interface for NI product, If you want to measure the add/sub for clockwise and anticlockwise, you should use the Property node of Counter application.   
 Counter input -> count edge ->count direction -> Terminal  . Here you can connect the index to a PFI port and asign here.

3. Done!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,763 Views)

Hello Bryan,

I am also attempting to connect a quadrature encoder for angular position to the DAQPad-6015 USB.  I follow your directions, but aparently the 6015 does not support Angular Encoders?  I get an error that says "The selected physical channel does not support the measurment type".   

Is this only becuase the USB is not fast enough to support 2048 pulses per revolution with a 512ppr encoder?  Or is there a better way to detect position with only a edge count or frequency count, which the 6015 supports?

Thank you for your help,

Chris

Message Edited by IdexChris on 01-09-2008 12:06 PM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,550 Views)