Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable selection for PXIe-8431/16 (RS-422)

Hello,

I am having trouble finding a compatible twisted-shielded RS-422 cable for the PXIe-8431/16 with the VHDCI connection. I have located a few twisted-shielded cables from NI, but the twisted pair does not match the pinout of the PXIe-8431/16. The NI product search is not bringing up more than one cable option for a twisted shielded VHDCI cable, and I know NI has more than this.

I have no requirement for the other end of the cable, though keeping it smaller would be nice.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(980 Views)

here are the part numbers for supported cables for 8431 (you can find it here - https://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/373170f.pdf pg.12)

santo_13_0-1643071311781.png

Looks like RS-485 cable is used for RS-422 too - you can buy it here http://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/select/serial-cable?skuId=28060

Note - do verify the part number before placing an order

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(970 Views)

Thank you Santo. I was hoping to get a single connector on the other end, but I guess that is not an option for 68-pin RS-422/485?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(956 Views)

Unfortunately does not seem to be the case, you can of course use a generic VHDCI - VHDCI cable but it may* not have any twisted pairs that NI have followed in these specific cabless for RS-232/RS-485/RS-422 (you can refer to the construction of these cables in the manuals/documents section of the particular cable)

I would recommend going with the official cables or you might have to deal with signal integrity issues (if those are a concern) that comes with generic VHDCI-VHDCI cable.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(952 Views)