DQMH Consortium Toolkits Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transforming a singleton module into a clonable module?

Hi all,

After refactoring a singleton module, I now realise it could become a clonable module.

It wouldn't be a huge amount of work to just create a new clonable module, duplicate a bunch of VIs, create the API requests and broadcasts and re-implement it. I think it would take about 16 hours in my case.

But I also thought there might be another way... by just changing the singleton into a clonable. Anyone has ever tried?

Is it a good idea?

Thanks in advance for any insight

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,449 Views)

Hi Antoine,

For any new modules that you create, if there is a distinct possibility it would need to be cloneable in the future, then I recommend starting as a cloneable - because you can always set the Run as Singleton? to TRUE. Easy to say in hindsight though!

I think you'd be better off just creating a new cloneable module, and re-writing the module.  There are quite a few differences between a singleton and a cloneable.

Also, I raised a feature request for this idea here: https://forums.ni.com/t5/Delacor-Toolkits-Documents/DQMH-Feature-Requests/tac-p/3926171/highlight/tr... 

Christopher Farmer

Certified LabVIEW Architect and LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
https://wiredinsoftware.com.au

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,414 Views)

Thank you for your answer Christopher,

@Ozfarmboy wrote:

For any new modules that you create, if there is a distinct possibility it would need to be cloneable in the future, then I recommend starting as a cloneable - because you can always set the Run as Singleton? to TRUE. Easy to say in hindsight though!

I had already received that advice, and obviously I should have followed it. I guess that's what learning by mistake is.

I think you'd be better off just creating a new cloneable module, and re-writing the module.  There are quite a few differences between a singleton and a cloneable.

I did compare clonables and singletons and yes, I guess that's what I'll do.

I've just updated my DQMH to 5.0 now is a good time to go ahead and create a clonable from scratch and re-implement.

Also, I raised a feature request for this idea here: https://forums.ni.com/t5/Delacor-Toolkits-Documents/DQMH-Feature-Requests/tac-p/3926171/highlight/tr... 

I had missed it, this thread for feature suggestions is far from ideal.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,397 Views)

I just do the same error 😥. Since 2020, have there been any improvements to solve this problem?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(2,126 Views)

This has been requested a few times in the past (see this feature request). I'm sorry to inform you that the DQMH Consortium has no plans at this point to implement this feature, as the effort would be enormous and our resources are limited. 

However, we are considering to provide a tool that will make the migration from a singleton to a cloneable - or vice versa - easier (original description here). Basically, the tool would create a cloneable module, read all requests from the singleton and recreate the requests inside the cloneable. The user would still have to move the code from each MHL case in the singleton module to the MHL of the cloneable module.

DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshops (Fab, Steve, Brian and me)
Release Automation Tools for LabVIEW (CI/CD integration with LabVIEW)
HSE Discord Server (Discuss our free and commercial tools and services)
DQMH® (The Future of Team-Based LabVIEW Development)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(2,120 Views)

Joerg - the ability to do what you said here (via the DQMH API) is already possible in DQMH 6.1 right?  It's just there is no tool to automate it?

Christopher Farmer

Certified LabVIEW Architect and LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
https://wiredinsoftware.com.au

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(2,112 Views)

@Ozfarmboy wrote:

Joerg - the ability to do what you said here (via the DQMH API) is already possible in DQMH 6.1 right?  It's just there is no tool to automate it?

That’s correct. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(2,102 Views)

Thank for the replay,

Please when will be the tools available?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(2,091 Views)

I don't know why but I use the DQMH version 6.0.0.83 and my VIPM dont give me a more felt version. Is the 6.1 already available for user?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(2,090 Views)

@PRNN wrote:

Please when will be the tools available?

Although we have talked about it and appreciate that it would be useful, we don't have any concrete plans to implement this tool at the moment. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(2,079 Views)