DQMH Consortium Toolkits Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature request: Automate the Helper Loop creation

I logged onto this community to add this very same request! I am glad to see others were thinking along the same lines.

My ideas for this are:
  1. Include a "checkbox" onto the Add New DQMH Module dialog panel that is labelled "Include a Helper Loop"
    Add new DQMH Module...
  2. If the user checks this checkbox, a helper loop is automatically added to the Main.vi
  3. The helper loop would not be a sub-VI, but simply a third loop on the main.vi block diagram.
  4. A Wake up Helper Loop request is automatically created and included in a Private Requests virtual folder
  5. Make the helper loop generic as per Sam's suggestion. My suggestion is to have three user events: 1) Timeout 2) <Stop Module> 3) <Wakeup Helper Loop>
  6. Label the additional "Register for Events" node something different from the other "Register for Events" node, ie. DQMH_REG_EVENTS_HELPER_LOOP (so that the Validate tool does not raise it as an issue)
  7. When generating a helper loop for new cloneable modules, ensure that in the "Wakeup Helper Loop" and "Stop Module" user events, that the Addressed to this Module.vi is used.

Christopher Farmer

Certified LabVIEW Architect and LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
https://wiredinsoftware.com.au

Message 11 of 18
(1,948 Views)

DQMH finally "clicked" for me (I'm still digesting why/what made it click), and I think this feature request is the first that came to mind.

Not knowing how LV scripting works, I was thinking why not just always have a helper loop in the modules by default, but switched off by default also?

I've also been recently introduced to channel wires and they seem, to me at least, to be the best solution for sending info to a helper loop. I say this because it is all internal communication anyway, no references to worry about destroying, wires vs something like a variable, less "junk" on the block diagram than things like queues, etc...

Just my $0.02. I'm sure the smarter people involved in implementation will do it right one way or another.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(1,652 Views)

Channel wires is a good suggestion.  I will give this a try next time.

Christopher Farmer

DQMH Trusted Advisor

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(1,629 Views)

Hi Fab,

I am curious whether this feature request could be green-lighted for the next version?  I see other requests with fewer kudo's that have been accepted due to being backed by the DQMH Trusted Advisors.  I also see kudo's from two different DQMH Trusted Advisors for this idea.  Is there some aspect that is preventing the adoption of this feature request?

Thanks,

Scott.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(1,434 Views)

@doyles wrote:

Hi Fab,

I am curious whether this feature request could be green-lighted for the next version?  I see other requests with fewer kudo's that have been accepted due to being backed by the DQMH Trusted Advisors.  I also see kudo's from two different DQMH Trusted Advisors for this idea.  Is there some aspect that is preventing the adoption of this feature request?

Thanks,

Scott.

Hi Scott,

Yes, the amount of work needed is what is preventing us from doing this at the moment. It has not been declined, we definitely agree that it is a good idea and we would like it ourselves. Our workaround has been that we use a lot of DQMH Templates, and the templates that do need a helper loop, already have it. For example, we have a DQMH Serial template that has a helper loop that is polling the serial port.

Thanks for your interest and I promise we are not ignoring you 🙂

Happy wiring,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
Message 15 of 18
(1,421 Views)

This idea has been added to the new DQMH Feature Requests (Idea Exchange) page here:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/DQMH-Feature-Requests/Automate-the-Helper-Loop-Creation/idi-p/4060250

Christopher Farmer

DQMH Trusted Advisor

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(1,396 Views)

Great!  I wasn't sure if copying old feature requests to the new IE page was needed and/or desired or not.

Thanks Christopher

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(1,380 Views)

@doyles wrote:

Great!  I wasn't sure if copying old feature requests to the new IE page was needed and/or desired or not.

Thanks Christopher

It will make it easier to communicate which ideas are declined and which ones we are working on.

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(1,368 Views)