From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passing variable to Find function

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm trying to find the first index where my accelerometer goes below -1G. I'm trying to use the Find function to do this, and having some syntax errors.

My code looks like this:

index = Find("Ch(""accelChannel"")<-1")

accelChannel is a variable that contains the name string of my data channel. I'm writing this script with the assumption that I won't know the name or index of the channel in my data structure. I have a dialog box that the user selects the channel and sets the accelChannel variable.

I'm trying to pass this string to the Find function to do the search, and I can't get it to work. Is it possible to pass a variable to the Find function?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,535 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sirwin

You can just create a string by resolving the value.

index = Find("Ch(""" & accelChannel & """)<-1")
Message 2 of 4
(2,508 Views)

That worked, Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,502 Views)

Hi sirwin,

I find putting the channel name with """ quotes into the formula makes it hard for me to debug when the formula gets a little more complicated.  The following approach will work in all DIAdem versions:

T1 = "accelChannel"
index = Find("Ch(T1)<-1")

And this nicer, object-oriented approach will work in recent DIAdem versions:

Set DataChannel = Data.GetChannel("accelChannel")
Channels = Array(DataChannel)
Symbols = Array("Accel")
index = ChnFind("Accel<-1", 1, Symbols, Channels)

It's much better for debugging if the "accelChannel" channel reference fails outside the Find function.

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

Message 4 of 4
(2,396 Views)