DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugger won't show variable

Hey,

Currently I cannot evaluate the values of any variables in a script when I'm at a break-point.

The current variable contents page is always empty, any watch value I setup returns "???" and when I select a variable by text and mouse over also nothing.

I've managed to use msgbox() to finish up what I was currently working on, and my scripts run just fine.

I've attached images with an example and my Diadem version and script engine.

Thanks,

Alex R

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,894 Views)

Hey Frisbert,

I currently have the same issue you had and only get "???" for every variable in the Debugger.

Since your question is already 3 months old I hope you found out the solution yourself and could tell me how you solved it. Because using only msgboxes in a script with 100,000 lines of code can be annyoing and difficult - but I'm sure you realized that yourself.

Couldn't find anything in the web about this issue besides your question btw.

Thank you!

Benedikt

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,200 Views)

Hey,

The only solution that I've seen work is a clean re-install.

My coworkers have done this to resolve the issue when it happened to them, I'm still using msgbox debugging.

Regards,

Alex R

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,180 Views)

Hi All,

I also mainly use MsgBox() and LogFileWrite() for debugging a DIAdem script.  For DataPlugin debugging, I usually output the same sort of information to properties in the Data Portal.

I know DIAdem experts who swear by the DBM() messaging approach, though, so that's another option to consider.

Brad Turpin

Principal Technical Support Engineer

NI

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,154 Views)

Hi All,

I've just returned to using DIAdem after a break of a few months and I know find I have this problem too. Are NI aware? Is there a solution other than a re-install yet?

Regards,

Simon.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,847 Views)

you do not need to reinstall DIAdem completely

it's enough to "reset" DIAdem

therefore, you have to close DIAdem
then you go to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\National Instruments\DIAdem

there are the settings folders for every DIAdem version
rename the folder which belongs to the DIAdem version with the issue

now, when you start DIAdem again, a new folder with default settings for the version is created
DIAdem debugger should show variables now again

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,825 Views)

Hi,

I'm afraid this didn't work for me. The problem remained even after a new folder was created.

I'm in conversation with NI and their solution is a reinstall....

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,819 Views)

Just before trying a full reinstall, NI Tech Support made the following suggestion, which worked:

Go to C:\Program Files\National Instruments\DIAdem 2020 and run DIAdemStart.exe as an Admin.

This re-associated the installer registry options.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,809 Views)

Hi all,

For anyone else who runs into this problem in the future, there is now a public article detailing steps to try here, including the steps in this forum thread.

Cheers,

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,794 Views)

Thanks for the update, I followed the instructions from the linked post and it fixed the issue for me in DiAdems 2018.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,787 Views)