From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DataFileSave on network drive error

Hi

Having frequent but arbitrary DIAdem crashes when saving files via DataFileSave on shared network drives. Usually DIAdem will quit with an ACCESS VIOLATION in ntdll.dll, but occasionally also on DIAdata.dll or DIAooData.dll. Sometimes it all works fine, sometimes not, unpredictable. Tested with different workstations and on two different (and independent) NAS systems, both with DIAdem 2015 and 2014, same behaviour. File size does not matter. Full write access on both network drives. I could not yet reproduce the problem on a local drive, though.

Anyone with similar experience? Any advice what to look for?

/Phex

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(5,203 Views)

Hello Phex,

Could you please share your version of DIAdem (32bit or 64bit) and the operating systems with which these errors occur.

Also, does this error only occur with "DataFileSave" being used in a Script, or does this also happen when you store a file directly from the DIAdem NAVIGATOR using "Save As..."? What type of file are you storing (TDMS, TDM, ...)?

Thanks,

Otmar

Otmar D. Foehner
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(5,195 Views)

Hello Otmar

I am using entirely 64bit DIAdem on Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

So far the error only occurs during script call, saving through NAVIGATOR seems to work fine. 

The file is saved as TDM.

I also tested with DIAdem 2015 SP1 32bit but same behaviour. 

Now testing intensively produced multiple random errors not only with DataFileSave but also with GroupDel, ChnAdd, ChnConcat, ChnValExpand, DataDelAll always leading to a total crash. I attached some screenshots. Further I found out that these errors even occur with the data source stored on a local drive. I have no clue what is happening or causing this strange behaviour. Any known incompatibilities with Windows Updates? 

/Phex

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(5,180 Views)

Hey Phex,

Do you get these crashes on more than one computer, or just that one computer?

I've never heard of this issue before,

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(5,177 Views)

Hi Brad,

I tested on three different machines, same unpredictable behaviour. All machines are Win7 64bit. Tested with both DIAdem 2015 32/64 bit.

Then I reactivated an older Win7 64 machine where I had a DIAdem 2014 32bit installed. I am doing a continuous test right now and so far no problems, neither when working locally nor on network drive. The major difference is that it does not have F-Secure installed. Thus I tried on the other machines again while unloading F-Secure but that did not prevent DIAdem from crashing. Weird.

Another thing I remember is that I uninstalled earlier DIAdem versions on the machines that experience these errors after I put up the 2015 version. Might this have had an effect? Other suggestions?

/Phex

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(5,168 Views)

Hi Phex,

Installing earlier DIAdem versions on a computer which has DIAdem 2015 should not cause crashes, though it can affect the PDF Exporter and other 3rd party tools that DIAdem installs by clobbering the new version of that tool with an older one which is not designed to work with DIAdem 2015.  But the actions that trigger your crash are so basic and internal to DIAdem that I really doubt this is the issue.  It's interesting that these actions only cause trouble when executed via VBScript.

Are you connected to the desired network save locations via wireless?  F-Secure looks like it's designed to address wireless connection scenarios.

Do you have any virus protection software running?  They often try to inhibit VBScript execution.

What happens if you run DIAdem 2014 32bit on one of the computers that's shown symptoms?  I don't have a theory here, but I'm curious if the problems track with DIAdem 2015.

Brad Turpin

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(5,160 Views)

Hi Brad,

I installed DIAdem 2014 32bit on one of the symptomatic workstations and surpringsingly the script executes without errors so far both on local drive and on network drive. Had it running in a loop several times.

Virus protection is on, network connected on LAN.

How to proceed? 

/Phex

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(5,154 Views)

Hi Phex,

I asked R&D about your symptoms, and they have not seen or heard of this either.  They asked if you could send a data set and a VBScript to help them identify what the issue could be.

Brad Turpin

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(5,076 Views)

Hi Brad,

I will prepare a data package for R&D. Whom shall I send it to? Or shall I open an official support ticket?

/Phex

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(5,073 Views)

Hi Phex,

The simplest thing would be to post a ZIP file to NI's incoming ftp site:

ftp.ni.com/incoming

Then post a forum entry to let me know the name of the file, or send me an email at brad.turpin@ni.com.  A file attachment with a *.vbs extension or even a *.zip file with a *.vbs file inside it can cause email servers to delete or quarantine the email.

Brad Turpin

National Insruments

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(5,057 Views)