From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIAdem : Writing Data to Excel

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I did some calculations in DIAdem and are stored in separate channels(Arithmetic Mean, Standard Deviation, etc...).I want these values to be in Excel in a particular format. I tried to use Excel plugin but it is not working and I am not able to write data in the channels created by Excel plugin.

Please convey.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,253 Views)

Hi himanshu25,

If you're in an interactive session, you can copy columns from a DIAdem VIEW table with <Ctrl-C> and paste them into an open Excel worksheet with <Ctrl-V>.

You can save the selected channels to a temporary *.TDM or *.TDMS data file, then use the Excel TDM Addin to load the *.TDM/S data file into Excel.

You can save the selected channels to a temporary *.csv or *.txt data file, then use the Excel ASCII file importing functions to load that data into Excel.

You can create a VBScript that communicates with Excel using ActiveX and sends the data channels to an Excel worksheet programmatically.

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,176 Views)

Hello Brad,

Thanks!!!!

I have a *.TDMS file and after performing some calculations I have some new channels. I want to export the calculated data to an Excel file. The last option looks good but i don't know how to do that and I can't provide the data.

However, I have attached a similar excel file which I need as an end product.

It will be a great help for me if I can get a VB Script on how to write to an excel file.

Have A Great Day

Himanshu Sharma 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,171 Views)

Here is a script I used to use when I needed to verify some test type before loading it into DIAdem.  

The reading/ writing into excel function is at the top, and I use it at the bottom of the script.  It used to be only for reading a single cell value (that is why it's name getSingleCellVal) but I added writing for this purpose.

'-- Comment: Function to return a value off a single cell in and excel file (or csv) and replace it with another value
'-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Option Explicit  'Forces the explicit declaration of all the variables in a script.

DIM SUB_NAME, FSO
Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

' READ A VALUE OF AN EXCEL / CSV SHEET
' ARG 1: The path of the file to be read
' ARG 2: the row containing the value of interest
' ARG 3: The column containing the value of interest
' ARG 4: A1 range string
' ARG 5: The new value to place in the A1 cell
' RETURN: Returns the old value of the cell
' NOTES: n/a
Function getSingleCellVal(filePath, row, col, A1range, newVal)
  SUB_NAME = "getSingleCellVal" & ": "
  Call LogFileWrite(SUB_NAME & "Started exeution")
  ' START
  If TypeName(filePath) = "String" And (TypeName(row) = "Integer" Or TypeName(row) = "Long") And (TypeName(col) = "Integer" Or TypeName(col) = "Long") Then
    If FSO.FileExists(filePath) Then ' If the file in question exists
      If LCase(FSO.GetExtensionName(filePath)) = "csv" Or LCase(FSO.GetExtensionName(filePath)) = "xlsx" Then ' Check if the file is excell or csv
        If row > 0 And col > 0 Then
          Dim Excel ' Open the excell sheet
          Set Excel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
          Excel.Visible = TRUE
          Call Excel.Workbooks.Open(filePath) 
          getSingleCellVal = CStr(Excel.ActiveSheet.Cells(row, col).Value) ' READ THE OLD VALUE
          Excel.ActiveSheet.Range("A1").Value = newVal ' WRITE VALUE
          Call Excel.ActiveSheet.Parent.Save() ' SAVE
          ' Close Excel
          Excel.DisplayAlerts = False
          Excel.Quit
          Set Excel = Nothing
        Else
          Call LogFileWrite(SUB_NAME & "row and column values must be greater than zero... Aborting")
        End If
      Else
        Call LogFileWrite(SUB_NAME & "must be xlsx or csv file extensions... Aborting")
      End If
    Else
      Call LogFileWrite(SUB_NAME & "file does not exist... Aborting")
    End If
  Else
    Call LogFileWrite(SUB_NAME & "argument types must be 1-String, 2-Integer, 3-Integer... Aborting")
  End If
  ' END
  Call LogFileWrite(SUB_NAME & "Ended exeution")
End Function

' USING THE FUNCTION
Dim oldVal, newVal
newVal = "I wrote that"
oldVal = getSingleCellVal("C:\Users\111660\Desktop\new.xlsx", 1, 1, "A1", newVal)
Call LogFileWrite(oldVal)

Let me know if I can clarify 

There is a ton of documentation on Excel and VBS here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/api/overview/excel  With all the object methods and properties under the object model tab.  I prefer TDMS usually but a lot of people don't have DIAdem or can't use it so I use this stuff sometimes.

Message 4 of 9
(5,162 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author himanshu25

Hi Himanshu,

Here's an example script that exports a given group from the Data Portal in the format you requested.

Set RawGroup = Data.Root.ChannelGroups(2)
  Set RawChannels = RawGroup.Channels
  Set myExcelApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
  myExcelApp.Visible = TRUE
  myExcelApp.Workbooks.Add()
  Set myWorksheet = myExcelApp.Activesheet
  myWorksheet.Cells(1,1) = "Excel-Example"
  FOR j = 1 TO RawChannels.Count
    myWorksheet.Cells(2,j) = RawChannels(j).Name
    myWorksheet.Cells(3,j) = ChnDim(RawChannels(j))
  NExt ' j
  Set myRange = myWorksheet.Range("a4")
  Set myRange = myRange.Resize(RawChannels(1).Size, RawChannels.Count)
  myRange.Value = ChnToVariant(RawChannels, "TransposedMatrix")
  Set myExcelApp = Nothing

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

Brad

Message 5 of 9
(5,154 Views)

Hi Brad,

Exactly!!!! what I needed.

Thanks a lot.

Have A Great Day

Himanshu Sharma

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,142 Views)

Hi Brad,

The script is used to write only one channel group. What if I want to write the next group?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,057 Views)

Hi Brad,

The script is used to write only one channel group. What if I want to write the next group?

And the channel has only one value.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,052 Views)

Hi Brad,

I don't very understand last few lines from the code (from set myRange ...to the end)

Can you shed some light?

Instead of change excel name after running script, can I directly assign a file name to excel in script step?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,987 Views)