DASYLab

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

min /max

Looking for some help with min / max module.  I'm importing data via rs-232 from of profilometer into dasylab.  The signal I get is similar to a sine wave.  I need to get the min and max from each wave.  I am able to do this using the min/max module and displaying it to a list.  The problem I am having is getting the sample number of the max and min value that is displayed.  I know the distance that each data point is taken, so I can count the data inputs and calculate the distance.  I'm having trouble getting the correct sample number to align with the min max values.

I have tried writing to global variables and reading when the global variable changes, but it seems that I don't get the min and max values, it seems to report the first value when the data goes outside the hysteresis range.

I will attach program when I return to work in the morning

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,065 Views)

You want to count the cycles? 

Use the Statistics/Counter module -- it can count samples, or if you use the TTL pulse mode of the Min/Max, it can count the edges. 

Measurement Computing (MCC) has free technical support. Visit www.mccdaq.com and click on the "Support" tab for all support options, including DASYLab.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,055 Views)

I am able to count the samples.  The problem I am having is getting the output from the min/max module and the counts to display in a list so that the max or min value has the corresponding data point. 

Please see attached worksheet

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,051 Views)

Hmm, i don't know if this is a valid solution, but it finds the same min/max-values with correct timestamps. 😉

M.Sc. Holger Wons | measX GmbH&Co. KG, Mönchengladbach, Germany | DASYLab, DIAdem, LabView --- Support, Projects, Training | Platinum NI Alliance Partner | www.measx.com
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,041 Views)

And now some explanation (in a new posting because i cannot edit my previous one any more):

To get the calculated timestamp and the corresponding min/max-value in a list, both datastreams have to be synchronised. But the min/max-module's output is not continuous, when using the "put out the values"-option instead of the "put out a TTL-signal". It puts out the min/max-values if new ones are found, nothing if a received value is not a minimum or maximum.But branch with the data-timesample-calculation is a continuous datastream, because for each received sample it releases a one-sample-block with a calculated timestamp.

So, we have to capture the data of the timestamp-calculation and the raw data of the rs232-input module before the min/max-module, and guide it through a relais-module. The min/max-module with TTL-output-option controls the relais: only the values - with corresponding calculated timestamp - are written into the list.

But now, we have a problem: the min/max-modules TTL-output-option works only for incoming datastreams, that do not have the trigger-flag. But the RS232-module is not able to put out data without that flag set. So, a little detour is necessary: write the data that comes from the rs232-modul into a global variable, and use the Read variable-module to get the data back into the worksheet. Set the timebase of the Read variable-module to a useful value: eg if you send data requests in the rs232-module every two seconds, set the timebase (e.g. Driver)  to 0,5 Hz, blocksize 1.

I do not know if there is a solution, that's... more beautiful. 😉

M.Sc. Holger Wons | measX GmbH&Co. KG, Mönchengladbach, Germany | DASYLab, DIAdem, LabView --- Support, Projects, Training | Platinum NI Alliance Partner | www.measx.com
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,022 Views)

I haven't had a chance to dig into this, but your additional explanation makes me think of the Latch module.

You can have the Min / Max set up to do two channels, one Min, one Max, and, as you say, those are at two different times.

Connect to a latch and use a TTL input to release the Latch, and the Min/Max are now released with the same timestamp. 

This is very different from a Relay! The relay requires synchronized inputs. The Latch does not. 

Measurement Computing (MCC) has free technical support. Visit www.mccdaq.com and click on the "Support" tab for all support options, including DASYLab.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,019 Views)