DASYLab

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatability with Agilent 34970a Model

I need to check if the Agilent 34970a Data Acquisition/Switch Unit is compatible with DASYLab. I know it functions with Labview, but the company I am performing a project for prefers DASYLab. The unit uses the VISA language. Thank you for your help.

Josh

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(8,032 Views)

How are you connecting it?

It's not quite as easy as the LabVIEW VISA drivers, but DASYLab has both GPIB and RS232 inputs which can be configured with the appropriate SCPI commands.

Measurement Computing (MCC) has free technical support. Visit www.mccdaq.com and click on the "Support" tab for all support options, including DASYLab.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(8,027 Views)

We are connecting it with a GPIB, there is also an option for the RS232, but we prefer the GPIB.

Thanks,

Josh

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(8,020 Views)

CJ: Any tips for using RS-232 on the 34970A?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,217 Views)

Is it really RS232? If so, it may be as simple as using the SCPI command MEAS? as the data request command. 

If you need initialization commands, then use the Options to set up Start, Reset and Stop commands. That way they are only sent once.

If you need to configure other aspects of the device, then the RS232 Output module can be configured to send a list of commands. 

This is a good reference for the SCPI commands:

http://www.keysight.com/upload/cmc_upload/All/34970-90009_quick_ref.pdf

If it's not RS232, it could be GPIB (IEEE-488) or TCP/IP. For TCP/IP, use the ICOMS module using the same syntax as the RS232 module. If it's GPIB, then I may be able to help with the GPIB setup. 

An alternate to this, but far more complex, is to use the (relatively new) IVI drivers. They do require setting up NI MAX, NI VISA and the Agilent IVI drivers.

Measurement Computing (MCC) has free technical support. Visit www.mccdaq.com and click on the "Support" tab for all support options, including DASYLab.
Message 5 of 7
(5,213 Views)

Its got GPIB but I dont - MMC have GPIB cards/adaptors for Dasylab?

Need to get the book on this device

Dasylab support is the main reason why I recommend Dasylab

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,209 Views)

Measurement Computing does sell a USB-488 device, but you should also consider the NI GPIB-USB-HS+. 

If it has RS232, it's always worth a try without having to spend more.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,204 Views)