From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pulse measurement for specific duration

Hi,

I'm using labview 8 and daq 6024E. There is a pulse train with unknown frequency. I'm interested in measuring the number of pulses within a specific duration, e.g. 10 secons. I'm using both counters on the 6024E as following. Counter0 is used to generated a finite pulse train with a known frequency, thus give me an external clock with an accurate time duration. At the same time, Counter1 is used to measure the number of pulses. I set up the daq assistant to do edge counting on counter1 using an external clock which comes from "paired counter internal output" (which i believe is count0 output). So the idea was to start counting pulses only when the finite pulse train is being generated and stop counting at the end of the finite pulse train. And I will get the number of pulses within this duration. However when I run the program, an error poped up says some resource is being reserved. I remembered i read somewhere that to generated a finite pulse train, it had to use two counters. That's probably why I'm getting this error since I was trying to measure the unknown pulse train at the same time. (I could be wrong). So I use a example VI to generate a continuous pulse train and manually turn this VI on and off to simulate a finite pulse train. While I used another VI to do the counting. It worked. However, since it is not very practical to manually turn the VI on and off for my project b.c I need an accurate time duration. I'm wondering if anyone know how to get around this problem. It seems like I need a daq card with more counter pairs. Except that, anyone has a better idea? Perhaps someone has a better approach than mine. Pls help, thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,256 Views)
Never mind my question. I think I figured out what i did wrong.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,241 Views)
Hello lxx,

Thank you for posting to the discussion forum. Let us know if you run into any additional issue. We will be glad to help you out.

Regards,
  Sandra T.

Applications Engineering | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,235 Views)