From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wiring "Open Collector Output Wiring" to NI-9361 counter module

Hello,

I'm trying to install a wheel encoder on our test truck so that we can more accurately measure distance and speed of the truck while we do the tests.  The issue I am having is that I do not see the counter signal in NI MAX to make sure I wired the thing correctly.

I bought the wheel encoder (a Red Lion zmd1000b) from Omega.  Its data sheet says it has an open collector output.  Quoting the data sheet: "NPN open collector outputs are current sinking devices. An output signal will not be generated unless a pull-up resistor is connected from the open-collector to the positive side of an external supply. The same supply can be used for powering the unit and for the pull-up resistor."  The data sheet shows the cable wire color:

Red - +VDC,

Black - Com,

A - White,

B - Green,

Bare - Shield.

We have a 4 slot cDAQ-9132 so I also bought a dedicated counter module NI-9361 with the DSUB 9923 connector block to wire everything.  The documentation for the 9361 module shows that it has an internal pull-up resistor that can be enabled or disabled.  I figured I could enable it to be able to get the signal from the wheel encoder.  However, I have not been able to find the option to switch it on or off.  I have tried the wiring configuration as in Figure 6 of the NI-9361 Starting Guide but the counter does not increment.

Do any of you have recommendation of what I could try next to get the encoder to put out the signal?  Thank you.

More pertinent info about our system running:

-LabVIEW 2015

-DAQmx Device Driver 16.1.0

-NI-9237 and NI-9201 modules to monitor load cells and stringpot

-External 10V power supply to power load cells and encoder

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,483 Views)

Hello,

I saw this KB which might be of use to you.

NI 9361 Will Not Enable Differential or Pull-Up Resistor Mode

There is a snippet of example code, and so you can just click and drag it into your existing project. I think the property node where you enable the pull-up resistor is what you are looking for.

-Ryan

Message 2 of 2
(3,417 Views)