Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an Absolute Encoder in Labview

I am looking to enter speed and angular position data into Labview from an absolute position encoder - I have not selected an encoder yet but require upto 8,000rpm.

Is this easily done with labview - I've come across Grey code and SSI (Synchronous Serial Interface) outputs.

We currently have a cDAQ 9174 with 9215 and 9211 modules - can I run a encoder through either of these interfaces or are there modules tailored to this type of job?

Sorry for the basic questions - I'm new to labview and have been thrown in at the deep end.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(8,946 Views)

Hi Logictom,

You can use an absolute encoder with LabVIEW but not with the modules that you currently have. You will need to get a Digital Input module.

This KnowledgeBase Article explains more about using Absolute Encoders with LabVIEW.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A9CA92E2B56C3519862576E900806D0B?OpenDocument

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Kind regards,

James W
Controls Systems Engineer
STFC
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(8,938 Views)

The knowledgebase that James linked is for an encoder with a parallel interface. Acquiring from these is pretty straightforward as mentioned in the knowledgebase article, you would just need a module with the appropriate number of digital input lines to cover the number of bits you want to measure from the encoder (I'd probably suggest looking at the 9403).

However, you seem to be asking about an encoder with a serial interface--you can acquire from these too but it isn't quite as straightforward (see here). For the serial interface you will need both digital input and output (you could use a single 9401 which can have 4 lines of each) since you will need to provide a clock and chip select to your encoder in order to clock out the bits.  One nice thing about the serial encoders is that a single 9401 could acquire from up to 4 encoders (and each additional 9401 in the system would allow for 8 more encoders).

Best Regards,

John Passiak
Message 3 of 5
(8,932 Views)

Hi James!

i wanna read absolute encoder 12bit pepperl-fuchs by My DaQ, but i don't see clock signal from encoder on oscilloscope NI ELVISmx. I connect wire data+ with port AO of board MyDaQ. please help me, my encoder was die or My way was wrong.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,464 Views)

If you are using NI RIO, there is a solution for your problem.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,676 Views)