From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XNET CAN current leak

We have a PXI 8516 card where we use both CAN and LIN. At the end of the functional test of the DUT, we measure quiescent current, which is normally around 40 microampere. We measure 120 microampere, if the XNET CAN is physically connected. If we disconnect it, the current is 40 microampere again.

My question is, where the additional current comes from? Is it a known issue on XNET?

regards

Madottati

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,219 Views)

For our ECUs they wake on CAN traffic.  The ECU will continually send out CAN data, and if a transceiver is on the bus that reads those frames, then the ECU stays awake and keeps transmitting data.  Only after going through the shutdown process, and stopping all XNet sessions, does our ECU actually go into the low power mode and draw the amount of current that is typical.  I don't know if NI has more information, but for us this was one thing we had to work around.  With our setup and XNet connected, we are able to measure down to the about 50 microamp draw with it still physically connected.  Also are you using the termination feature of the XNet device?  I wonder if this is effecting the readings somehow. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,198 Views)