Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9862 for transmitting multiple periodic messages at different timings

Hi,

I am using 9862 for high speed CAN. I need to send multiple periodic messages at different timings using NI X-NET. Is possible to send at different timing intervals (say 100ms & 50ms). If yes please share me any documents or links regarding the same.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,961 Views)

The best resource I can provide you with is the XNET manual. It can answer a lot of questions for new users if read carefully.

Periodically transmitted frames (or cyclic frames in XNET parlance) use the CAN:Timing Type property (page 4-359) to indicate they are cyclic and the Frame:CAN:Transmit Time property (page 4-188) to control the period.

The XNET hardware will automatically transmit the most recent value of a cyclic frame at the first opportunity after the transmit time has elapsed. This is all performed in the hardware, requires no host control, and uses precise hardware timing.

You can experiment with cyclic timing with our shipping examples and the XNET bus monitor. Select any of the output examples, choose a cyclic frame from the example database, and experiment with the transmit time and/or loop rate to get a better understand of how they work together.

Jeff L
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,928 Views)

Might I suggest you read up on a blog post I made on in depth XNet features.  It basically goes over several of the NI examples and talks about when you might choose one session type over the other, and how to effectively use the API.  The series in general is a good read for those new to CAN as well.

But yes to answer your question, periodic single point type sessions will continue transmitting at the rate specified by the database, for each frame independently.

Message 3 of 3
(2,926 Views)