Go to solution

Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 26
(2,387 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sfrosty

@JGruenberg wrote:

Off chance it's not a linear scaled number and is a IEEE 754 floating point (which I've never seen on an automotive network), you'd get 599.36 which seems not implausible.

That's it! It's a IEEE 754 floating point data format. I used the IEEE-754 Floating Point Converter and included information to decipher and write my LabVIEW code (URL attached). Thanks for sending me the 599.36 value which I used to verify operation.

IEEE 754 floating point calculator and info to write your own LabVIEW code:

https://www.h-schmidt.net/FloatConverter/IEEE754.html

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 26
(2,360 Views)

@Minions wrote:

Additionally, you will need to know if the information is being presented as Big or little endian.  Do you happen to know the Baud rate and BTR values?  All of this information should be present within the file extensions that Hooovahh mentioned.  Also, a .MAP file might also be benefit.

I have the endianess and baud rate, and the A2l file specific to the vehicle, however, I can't  find any of the parameters I apparently need to communicate listed in the A2l file. Looks like I still need CRO ID, Data Transfer Object, DTO ID and Station Address. I can most probably get access to the seed file. The NI A2L Viewer lists a CCP folder under Cal Pages, so I'm assuming the ECU protocol is CCP. The CCP folder is empty. I have some feelers out.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 26
(2,358 Views)

@sfrosty wrote:

however, I can't  find any of the parameters I apparently need to communicate listed in the A2l file. Looks like I still need CRO ID, Data Transfer Object, DTO ID and Station Address.

As far as I know the A2L defines the CRO ID and DTO ID, I'm unsure if the other parameters are in there or not.  I've also seen some DBCs that define what these IDs are, even if they aren't really used in the signal API.

Message 14 of 26
(2,354 Views)

No need for complicated math -- you can do a simple type cast:

sgl.png

Message 15 of 26
(2,344 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@sfrosty wrote:

however, I can't  find any of the parameters I apparently need to communicate listed in the A2l file. Looks like I still need CRO ID, Data Transfer Object, DTO ID and Station Address.

As far as I know the A2L defines the CRO ID and DTO ID, I'm unsure if the other parameters are in there or not.  I've also seen some DBCs that define what these IDs are, even if they aren't really used in the signal API.

Don't see the CRO ID or DTO ID in the A2L. Still looking for info. Don't have a DBC file, is that something I should look to acquire?

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 26
(2,250 Views)

@JGruenberg wrote:

No need for complicated math -- you can do a simple type cast:

sgl.png

Thank you for the response. I'll keep it in mind. However, I don't see how it would apply in this case. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 26
(2,248 Views)

@sfrosty wrote:

Don't see the CRO ID or DTO ID in the A2L. Still looking for info. Don't have a DBC file, is that something I should look to acquire?

I've never needed the DBC for CCP or XCP communication since the A2L file for me has always contained the information needed.  I was just suggesting another way to possibly get the information you are looking for.

Message 18 of 26
(2,239 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@sfrosty wrote:

I've never needed the DBC for CCP or XCP communication since the A2L file for me has always contained the information needed.  I was just suggesting another way to possibly get the information you are looking for.

Have you ever communicated with a GM, Ford, or Chrysler vehicle utilizing only the information from the A2L file? For example, acquiring engine RPM or Throttle Position. I know these are available via OBDII; just using as an example that the output can easily be verified.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 26
(2,237 Views)

@sfrosty wrote:

Have you ever communicated with a GM, Ford, or Chrysler vehicle utilizing only the information from the A2L file? 

Yes, not specifically to read engine RPM but other diagnostic information stored in DIDs, and PIDs.

Edit: sorry wrong protocol, but yes I've used it to read XCP information with nothing other than an A2L.

Message 20 of 26
(2,231 Views)