Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Write Accessor for Batch Msg?

So Batch Msg contains an array of messages that is populated using Bundle during the Send Batch.vi

This is fine if you want to just send the Batched messages now, but can't be used with Time-Delayed Send Message.

Of course there are easy workarounds - modify Batch Msg.lvclass to have a write accessor, or create a new child of Message.lvclass that has the same function as Batch Msg but a public accessor (if I don't want to modify the built-in classes).

I'm writing here to ask if anyone else has needed this, or can think of reasons why it shouldn't be possible/allowed to initialize a Batch Msg without sending it.

I see AQ's posts here: Does someone have a Send Batch example? about why Init and Send are not generally split, but I think adding a "Write Array.vi" to Batch Msg.lvclass would be backwards compatible and also generally not visible unless you searched for it (could be left off palettes, etc).

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(746 Views)

On rereading that old conversation, I think there is a problem of terminology.  No wonder new Users were confused by "Init and Send".  Nobody "initializes" messages in the real word; they write them.  "Init" is computer jargon.  Talk of "write accessors" would also be confusing, so I think you should make a "Write Batch Message" VI, rather than a "Write Array" accessor.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(721 Views)