From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splash screen flash

Solved!
Go to solution

I discovered a corrective action request that was filed about this issue about two and a half years ago. It appears that this tends to happen on computers with a sluggish hard drive, when the VI is configured for a centered run-time position, and the Customized Window Appearance is set to Modal Window Behavior. The CAR is #345863. Ultimately, the developers decided that, while it is something that could be done to improve LabVIEW, they needed to use their resources for other improvements that had a higher priority. Also, it appears that the operating system behavior has something to do with the problem.

I tried changing the VI's Window Appearance to Floating. This greatly improved the situation but did not get rid of it entirely. There was still a slight flicker of the VI as it was in edit mode before the VI appeared in the centered position.

You might want to try adjusting the Windows animation settings on the OS. In windows 7, disable windows animations (Right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced system settings > Advanced tab > Performance Settings > Uncheck "Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing"). Try experimenting with this to see if it improves the situation.

Another work-around would be to move the front panel (in edit mode) into the position that you would like it to first appear. Then, it won't be noticed very much if it flickers before it is truely centered--it will already be very close to the center to begin with.

Jeremy P.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(1,711 Views)

You could try changing the run-time position of the splash screen vi to 'out-of-bounds' (ie. 5000,5000) and change the position as part of the vi to a centred position using invoke nodes. That way it would first flicker up outside of the visable area and would first appear when the vi is properly loaded and is moving itself into the right position (Haven't tried it though so don't know if that improves the situation)

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(1,711 Views)

I'm curious if there is any update for this issue?

My splash screens do the same thing and it is very annoying

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(1,229 Views)

Developer closed the CAR as a minor cosmetic issue that requires significant code changes to correct. Because of the repeated customer complaints on the issue, I have re-opened the CAR. I don't know if that will get it fixed -- it will get re-examined by the team that owns the issue, and they may come to the same conclusion, but they will re-evaluate in light of the customer escalation.

Message 14 of 15
(1,217 Views)

Thanks for the update!

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(1,204 Views)