Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implementing the State Pattern in Actor Framework

Hi dostini, all,

In case this is useful to anyone going down this path, please find a small comparison of the two solutions discussed: Actor "is in a state" vs Actor "has a state".

@dostini: thanks for the response; in case it helps, here's how I'm going about it:

I'm starting from the initial solution where the States are children classes of a given actor. In this case we follow a  normal AF workflow, save for a "Copy Data" method that must exist when a state change occurs to pass any data over to the next state. I admit this remains as a burden to the developer and somewhat strikes me as a loose end, but I'll let it go for now.

However, when we try to expand the Actor through another Child Actor, here's how I dealt with it:

Given two Actors, ActorX and ChildOfActorX, step one is to place the code/functionality in a dynamic dispatch VI of ActorX. Then, create a VI for override in the corresponding State (for example: STANDBY state creates an override of the "action.vi". By default, the only thing there is the "Call Parent implementation" primitive. 

And now it is from this vi (the States:STANDBY.lvclass:action.vi) that we will create the AF message.

This way the message still enforces that not only the correct state will execute the action, but also that multiple states can, which I found lacking in the other approach as there is no common parent for the states (other than the base state of course, which will not carry specific functionality). By having the functionality in ActorX, ChildOfActorX can now override it easily if needed. 

I tried to get it down in this draft, if I can clarify this for anyone please let me know.  I'd also like to hear @CaseyLamers or someone else that has tried the other approach as I'm afraid I might be missing something here.

Thanks again,

Cris

0 Kudos
Message 51 of 61
(2,549 Views)

Hi all,

I am not quite sure where to post this, so here goes. 

Recently I posted here about how to cope with copying the parent data from one object to another when changing state. My motivation comes from the following> if the pattern is used as part of a framework, I would like this to be taken care of, and not have to update the accessors in that Substitute Actor.vi every time the class data changes. 

So I started to have a look if it was possible to have an accessor that adapts to the class data and does just that, copying the parent data over to a new object. 

I know this gets sensitive now, as we've all seen the discussions regarding this, as well as some serialization related ones (flatten class data to xml, AQ serializer, malleables as accessors, etc.)

As it turns out, there is an admittedly not very elegant (but somewhat creative, I find) way to do it. Although malleables cannot be used, the Type Specification structure can be used outside of a Malleable. This coupled with some manually use of the Bundle/Unbundle function lets you have the wiring done beforehand and adapts to the class data upon any modification.

crandiba_0-1584527495170.png

What I was really looking for was a Paul Cardinale style Xnode, but until then I wanted to share with you this method. 

In the case of descendant classes, it will copy over the common ancestor data, as you would expect. Drawback is of course its limited to the number of elements you have statically defined in the bundle/unbundle terminals.

I know its far from perfect, but hopefully it can raise a discussion and lead to a better way of doing this. In my view, it will then lead this pattern to become much more appealing, as it can then be used as a basis for a framework.

Message 52 of 61
(2,462 Views)
When I try to install version 1.1 in LabVIEW 2020 I get an Error from VIPM: Main Package Name: NI State Pattern Actor v1.1.0.10 Package Name with Error: NI State Pattern Actor v1.1.0.10 Error Message: VIPM could not install the package ni_lib_state_pattern_actor-1.1.0.10 . Error Code: 8 Error Source: Öffnen/Erstellen/Ersetzen einer Datei in 73A5BDB5DE39A116FCA8B48EECAF417C->64F66CF17BFDEECFC99D007FAABFE022->1C3783F9D899991C78D90B278C93351B->4F9E61CEDBE6910285FE1211530F26A8->96DC0328B56514F73D2FABBD74865399->OGPM Class.lvlib:9379CFD8CA331CF0E38A98FA9D7316C6->OGPM Class.lvlib:D5B6EB965D0BC09274E3E5144188318D->C816626B524CF3DD3AA4372A60C7FF8E->VIPM Main Window.vi C:\ProgramData\JKI\VIPM\cache\ni_lib_state_pattern_actor-1.1.0.10.spec ===============
0 Kudos
Message 53 of 61
(2,171 Views)

I have installed StatePattern Actor three or four weeks ago on a clean new LV2020. Haven't seen any issues so far.

Do you have sufficient disk space? 

Do other VIPM packages sintall correctly?

0 Kudos
Message 54 of 61
(2,168 Views)

The students in my current AF class just downloaded and installed the package from VIPM without issue.  It's a virtual class, so they are all in their own environments.

The current package build is fine.  You'll want to look at things like access rights on your own machine.

0 Kudos
Message 55 of 61
(2,145 Views)

Look on the VIPM forums. 

https://forums.vipm.io/forum/5-vi-package-manager-vipm/

If I remember correctly error 8 has something to do with permissions.

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
Message 56 of 61
(2,143 Views)

When I ran VIPM as Admin it installed nicely on LV2020.😀

@justACS it would be helpful if you could add the hint to Admin rights to the description.

@JKI it would be nice if VIPM would be more helpful for these basic problems.

Meanwhile I programmed my states differently by putting a Child Class of a State Class into Private Data of my Main Actor for each State... it´s clean but I´m not sure if I can reach the same level of functionality as with State Patern Actors.

0 Kudos
Message 57 of 61
(2,085 Views)

Hi,code-lux
When I use VIPM2021 to open vip, it directly jumps to the NI web page, how should I install this vip

0 Kudos
Message 58 of 61
(925 Views)

Although I don't know that using VIPM(2021) to directly open the corresponding vip file only pops up the NI web page, I found the corresponding toolkit by typing state pattern actor in VIPM(2021). If you know the reason why I can't install the vip file by directly opening it, please tell me

0 Kudos
Message 59 of 61
(915 Views)

It still works for me... maybe some dependencies were missing.

When you find a package on VIPM, I would anyway recomend you to use this one instead of a package from an old website as VIPM will give you the latest suiting version with dependencies.

0 Kudos
Message 60 of 61
(903 Views)