From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crash when closing project window using AF: don't panic, it doesn't affect run time

There is a crash that can happen when closing a project window while running an Actor Framework project. The vast majority of people will never hit it, but it does happen to be possible in the standard project template for Actor Framework in LV 2012. It has to do with closing a project without stopping your running VIs first. I'll let the KB describe the gorey details. I just wanted to get out in front of this one -- it is not a bug in the AF itself, nor is it possible to happen in a run time system. It only affects the dev environment if you click on closing the project window a little too eagerly. Because the AF is relatively new, I didn't want this weird crash to undermine confidence in the actual runtime stability of the AF.

The crash is easy to avoid: stop your VIs before you close the project window OR close the project window at a time when you know actors are not dynamically unloading. Again, it only affects the development system.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B1E596DF4587B2B586257AB500570E3B?OpenDocument

This will not be fixed in the 2012 Service Pack due to the complexity of the fix involved and the low severity of the crash. I expect it to be addressed in LV 2013.

Message 1 of 1
(3,326 Views)