Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Actors and interfaces - am I doing it right?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to AF and not sure if I'm using interfaces to communicate between nested and parent actors correctly.

Let's say I have three actors in my system: A, B and C (very original, I know). Actor A is the root actor that launches B and C which periodically send updates to A. Currently, to achieve that for each nested actor I've created a new "Abstraction" library that contains an interface with its methods and messages for these methods. Actors B and C use these "interface" messages to send data to actor A which implements both interfaces and updates UI as messages come in. It seems to work just fine and doesn't couple nested actor to its caller, but I guess it just feels a bit cumbersome to me to create a new library for every actor that has to send messages up the tree. Hence my question, am I doing this right, or is there some other approach I cannot think of myself?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 37
(2,330 Views)

Are B and C sending different updates to A? If so, yes, you're doing it right. If they're sending the same updates to A, then you only need one interface and both B and C can send to the same interface. 

This assumes that you need the independence of B and C from A. There is also the strong coupling route where B and C send messages to methods defined on A directly. While there are many conditions where the interfaces are preferable, don't over-engineer the system if B and C are unlikely to need that independence. It is relatively straightforward* to refactor to create the interfaces later if you realize you want to reuse B or C separate from A. 

* straightforward enough that in theory scripting tools could be created to autogenerate the interface and add it to the system, but to the best of my knowledge, no one has written such tools yet. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 37
(2,324 Views)

Why do you need a separate library for the interface? If Actor B sends some data to its caller Actor A, why not put the interface inside the same library as B? It's part of the API of B.

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 37
(2,297 Views)

Taggart: depends on whether it is also used by C or not. Also depends on how aware A is of B specifically (factory pattern might obscure the relationship). 

Another downside of packing it in with B is increased confusion about messages sent TO B versus those FROM B.  Even if I put the interface in the same library as B, I’d still have a sublibrary to aggregate the message classes with the interface. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 37
(2,292 Views)

Why should B and C share an interface? Even if they send similar messages, they can each have their own interface.

If they share some hierarchy (as an example if you are using the factory pattern), then keep the interface with the parent class.

As to confusion about which messages go where - careful naming helps here. You can also use virtual folders. To steal DQMH terminology you could have a virtual folder of requests and one of broadcasts. Of course you can pick your own terminology and broadcast doesn't seem quite appropriate since it doesn't go to everyone. I like "for this Actor" and "from this Actor"

Do you find this confusing?

Taggart_1-1659455327556.png

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 37
(2,285 Views)

@AristosQueue wrote:

Are B and C sending different updates to A?

Yes, B and C send different data with different types, and A has to do some formatting before displaying it.

@AristosQueue wrote:

If they're sending the same updates to A, then you only need one interface and both B and C can send to the same interface. 

So, if I understand correctly, this interface would have two methods and corresponding messages, so each nested actor would send its own, dedicated message. Is that how it would work?

I want to learn how to properly decouple nested and calling actors because I have a rather simple project in mind that, if done right, should give me at least one nested actor that could be used in several other projects, so it being independent from its caller is pretty important.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 37
(2,280 Views)

Why should B and C share an interface?

Because [encapsulating common behavior to give multiple entities the same language for communication] is the main reason for defining an interface? Honestly not sure how to answer you, Sam, as you seem to have some foundational assumptions that differ from mine. 

Let’s be clear: B and C aren’t inheriting this hypothetical single interface. A is. You agree with that, right? 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 37
(2,275 Views)

B and C send different data with different types

If they send different data then you have two separate interfaces. My comments about a single interface only apply if B and C send the same thing. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 37
(2,272 Views)

@Taggart wrote:

Why do you need a separate library for the interface? If Actor B sends some data to its caller Actor A, why not put the interface inside the same library as B? It's part of the API of B.

If you do this, you can't ever use A in a system without B.  That's OK if A and B are that tightly coupled, but then there is very little benefit in using the interface at all.

The goal of using the interface is to allow A to be used with any actor that implements the B-to-A interface.  Putting the interface in the same library as B completely undermines that goal.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 37
(2,270 Views)

If they share some hierarchy (as an example if you are using the factory pattern), then keep the interface with the parent class.

The only hierarchy they would share in the factory IS the interface. There wouldn’t be a parent class at all. 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 37
(2,265 Views)