Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AF 101 : who has to derive and use abstract message?

I can't understand the use case of this abstract messaging.

Let's recap.

In normal messaging between ActorA and ActorB, one can just define some methods in A, right click on the actor and let LV generate the messages class&methods that A can receive.

So for example in actorB I can grab the caller enqueue and use the "Send xyz Msg" to A, this will send the Msg object into the queue, then inside A, it will be dequeued, called the Do.vi override, and finally reach my xyz method on actor A.

This procedure can be done in both ways (A to B, and B to A), and this create a "coupled actors messaging". Right?

All these messages will go inside the virtual folder "Messages for this actor" and the vi to use is "Send xyz Msg".

Now enter "Abstract messages for Caller".

The think I noticed is that the "Do.vi" is not present anymore in the Msg class.

This is because the actual action of the message is unknown.

So I create an abstract message (with optional parameters).

1) Now who has to derive this message and override the Do.vi? Should I derive the actor as a whole? Or inside another actor I just create a concrete message overriding the Do.?

2) the "new abstract message" pop up is not clear and documented. What is "use reference method"? why should I use a reference method?

I am not able to create a simple example from zero.

If I open examples that uses abstract msg, or the zero coupled messaging, they are too complicated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,416 Views)