From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

myRIO or Digilent z7-20 ?

hello,

I want to know the differences between boards, if i can use labview, and some pros and cons for each board.I have little experience with VHDL and Labview. Thanks in advance for answers !

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,262 Views)

Hi DORUblk,

There are several differences between the boards and they are generally designed for different applications.

The National Instruments MyRIO is designed to be used with LabVIEW, C, and VHDL. You can download software applications to its processor or synthesize your code into HDL and target its on-board FPGA. The MyRIO is designed to be used with peripherals that connect via analog and digital I/O but can also connect via other protocols such as USB and WiFi.

The Digilent z7-20 also has an on-board processor and on-board FPGA. The z7-20 can be used with LabVIEW but does not have the breadth of LabVIEW support that the MyRIO does. The z7-20 also has more variety of I/O (including HDMI).

Both devices are compatible with Digilent's PMOD devices.

It is difficult to compare them with "Pros vs Cons" because this will be highly application dependent (Necessary number of I/O, voltage levels, environmental concerns, price, etc.).

Both are great tools for learning about embedded controls, processors, and FPGAs.

Regards,

Ramsey

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,228 Views)