Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyRio Engine Control Unit

Hello Everyone!

I'm about to start a project that involves MyRio acquiring data live from a car's engine sensors, I have some concerns though because the sensors should still feed data to the current ECU of the car, would reading them from the MyRio cause any disturbance to the signal? And how to convert the voltage input to data (pressure, temperature, lambda..).

Your help is much appreciated,

Hijawi  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,666 Views)

Hello!

Is the myRIO going to be receiving specific analog or digital signals? Usually the CAN protocol is used in vehicles to pass data around to the multiple systems on board.

If you are not planning to use the CAN protocol to read this data, you must have some sensors that output raw voltage signals to a separate system. These voltages would not be affected if you are simply probing them in parallel to the actual system checking them. Could you give us more insight into how you plan to read the sensors? 

-John 

John H.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,631 Views)

Hello John,

I did not consider acquiring data from the car, I don't know if that's possible. I have access to autocom CDP, but I am not sure how to interface it with MyRio or LabView, the sampling rate was a bit low too but I think that can be edited. Do you have any idea if such a thing is possible?

If I didn't a neat way of acquiring sensor data I will have to receive analog inputs on MyRio and then translate raw data to sensible numbers, which I am not sure how to do just yet.

Your help is much appreciated! 

Hijawi

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,627 Views)

Hijawi,

Can you please explain what Autocom CDP is? Is it a device? If so, how do you communicate with it? Do you receive voltages, serial or CAN communications from it?

Thank you,

Alyssa H.

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,609 Views)

Hello Alyssa,

For some reason my reply was deleted, so here it is again. Autocom CDP is a device that connects to the vehicle by a 16 pin ODC port, however the software has a low sampling rate and is close source which doesn't help my project, instead I'm moving on with taking sensors data in FPGA as raw voltage, I am facing two issues however, sensors voltage is up to 12 volts, can MyRio withstand it or do I need extra circuitry. And when I successfully get raw data, how do I convert them to sensible values (pressure, temperature, o2 level..)

Thanks a lot!

Hijawi

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,599 Views)

Dear Hijawi,

I'm not sure which myRIO you are using, so I have included links to both specification sheets. I would double check the specifications for the analog inputs. If your sensor is out of range, then you will need to find a way to condition it before it enters the myRIO.

USER GUIDE AND SPECIFICATIONS NI myRIO-1900

USER GUIDE AND SPECIFICATIONS NI myRIO-1950

The Engineer’s Guide to Signal Conditioning

I have also included some helpful links below.

Getting Started With LabVIEW FPGA

Acquire and Analyze Signals With LabVIEW Real-Time

Regards,

Alyssa H.

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,589 Views)