UI Interest Group Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Is This?

Solved!
Go to solution

This is hilarious. James, you thought you found some cool LabVIEW Object thingy!

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(1,527 Views)

I use it all the time and find it helpful to lay out my UIs.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(1,527 Views)

Haha clinging to anything that might make UIs  easier!

Joey: It's an interesting one to have in the toolbelt. I suspect the resizing will have the same problems as others so wouldn't use it for that and if there is a clear relationship between the data would normally embed in a cluster.

I can see this being really useful for layout design. Grouping sections and being able to rearrange the whole panel could really ease exploring options.

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(1,527 Views)

I use it when customers sometimes force me to (read “will not listen to my advice against it”) build very large and complex UI's. I situations like this I find it useful for keeping groups of function but not data related controls together. For data related controls I prefer to use a cluster

Best regards
Jens Christian Andersen.
CLA, CTA, CPI
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(1,527 Views)

J.C. - so I take it you normally try to push for simple UI's? Why not build large and complex UI's?

Joey S.
Senior Product Manager, Software
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(1,527 Views)

In general I believe that simple UI’s are much more approachable for users, and thus the users will spend a shorter amount of time getting comfortable with you application.

But at this point I may need to define what I mean by a simple UI. To me a simple UI is a UI which is easy to use and gives you a simple overview of what you can do with the application. Actually a UI like that can be very complex in function, but we should try make it look simple to the user.

So as a developer I need to think about which functions are use all the time and which are not used that often. Also some function can typically be categorized as “advanced” functions and then be put in a menu or on a different tab page.

The people who insist on having what I call a complex UI with many controls and indicators right in the face of the user, are often people like myself: engineers.

I have learned that this is due to the fact that we have the understanding of the data structure under the hood of the application, and because of that it seem natural to have a representation of this on the UI. If we make the applications only for our own use this may be just fine. But when we want other people use it we need to make it look like something the user can relate to.

How we can accomplish this is a complete discussion on its own which I will not get in to her

Cheers

Jens.

Best regards
Jens Christian Andersen.
CLA, CTA, CPI
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(1,527 Views)

Hello

Could you tell me how use FRPXIA3 to download program by LABView,I first use FRPXIA3, I have not by it just want know how to use, If I can use it successful we will by it

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(1,527 Views)