Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phase noise of NI PXI-5404?

Is there any additional information available about phase noise of NI PXI-5404? In the data sheet only a average noise density is specified. I need to know the jitter of NI PXI-5404. So if there is no information about phase noise, information about jitter is even better. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,897 Views)
Hello PXI-Peter,

The PXI-5404 is a Frequency Synthesizer that generates only sine waves and square waves (through the CLOCK output). It uses DDS mode, so it uses a look-up table to generate signals.

The specifications of the internal clock of the PXI-5404 board are:
* Frequency: 9kHz to 105MHz
* Resolution: 1.07uHz
* Accuracy: +/-2ppm (this is, max +/- deviation from selected frequency is selected freq x (2/1000000)

You can see this information in the following document:
Specifications for the NI PXI-5404 - January 2003

Hope this helps,

Claudia Lorente
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/ask

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,898 Views)
Hi Peter,

Yes, I know NI's specifications for phase noise on the 5404 are strange and not what RF types are used to seeing. So I got a unit in here on demo, hooked it up to my Agilent 89441A analyzer, and was amazed by the incredibly low phase noise. If I recall correctly, the phase noise was below my 89441A's measuring capability.

I know that is not a "number", but I can only say that if my 89441A can't see the phase noise, it must be pretty darn good!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,766 Views)