Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TruePoint Digital Magnetic Compass

Hello.

Has anyone had experienced getting data from a Digital Magnetic Compass (Brand : TruePoint) ? I would like to know the correct function to get the serial data from the compass. Any help i would greatly appreciate. Thank you very much.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,028 Views)
For serial communication you will need to use NI-VISA. The exact commands will be found in your manual or programming guide. I found a link online to the TruePoint Digital Magnetic Compass manual and this should help you with the calls to make.

Also if you are using LabVIEW there is a Basic Serial Write and Read in the Example Programs under Help. If you are using C++ then the function calls can be found in NI-Visa Help. Which can be found in Start>>Programs>>National Instruments>>VISA>>NI-VISA Help

Regards
Krista S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,023 Views)
Hi Krista,

Thank you for your reply.
I made a VI to catch the data from the HMR 3500 Magnetic Compass Sensor but I still can't get it. Kindly see the attached VI and screen shot. Any advise I would greatly appreciate.

Thank you very much.

Bong
LV 8.0 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,943 Views)
Hi Krista,

I just want to explain more what i have done so far. Please see more updated attachment. So far I can get the Hexadecimal data from the sensor.  But I do not know how can I interpret or change the hexadecimal data so that I can pick the data that I need. 
The attached is a log data from the sensor using its own Utility software. In this log data I am particularly interested in the Time and Azimuth value.
How can I change the hexadecimal data to a readable data so that I can pick the Time and Azimuth?

Any advise I would greatly appreciate. Thank you very much.

Bong
LV 8
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,940 Views)

Hi Bong,

It seems that your data is contained in one string you can separate the string out by using the String Subset function found in the string pallett. This will allow you to split the data apart so that you can then change it from HEX to a Number. This can be done by using hexadecimal String to Number which is in the String pallet also. Please look at this and let me know if you have any questions. You should also use the context help to explain these VIs further.

Regards
Krista S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,911 Views)