PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Usage of HSDIO

Hi,

is it possible to use HSDIO cards (PXI-6551) remotely via VISA server? I haven't managed to get that working.....

Here's what I did:
- start VISA server on remote computer in order to see the hardware connected to it. Ok this far, I can see all the devices on the remote system from my local computer.
- that's where the trouble starts: making LabVIEW / Signal Express recognize the hardware on the remote system.... I've tried to set it up as an IVI device including hardware-asset, driver session and logical name, but it does not work yet..... (everything with MAX)

Is it possible at all? On the remote system itself, I haven't seen IVI configurations for HSDIO in MAX also....

Cheers
Oliver
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,982 Views)

Unfortunately this is not possibel, because the IVI drivers are not capable of being used accross the network. You are right that VISA Devices can be accessed via the Visa Server, but what you would have to do is use VISA calls to access the registers of the hardware, so programming the devices becomes very difficult.

Unfortunately you can not use the NI-HSDIO driver via a remote connection.

I would recommend to write an application for the remote system, that accesses the device, and has a TCP/IP interrface, so that you can ccommunicate with this application accross the network

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,958 Views)

Another option is to use Windows XP Professional on the remote system; then you can use Remote Desktop Client from another Windows computer to access the remote machine for adjustments or monitoring.  You can also use the LabVIEW Remote Front Panel feature to view and operate the VI remotely.  These options aren't the same as programming remotely with VISA, but perhaps one would be acceptable for your application...

RossC

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,910 Views)