NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Value' is a reserved name in TestStand...Why?

'Value' is a reserved name in TestStand, which means that you cannot create a variable/object in TestStand named 'value'. It's seems like a benign thing but to me it is an unecessary limitation. So why is that and are there any other reserved words that I need to be aware of?

Q: Why is it a problem for me?

A: my application is built to dynamically react to messages on a vehicle network, and I have no control over message definitions or the software architecture of our system. It just happens that at least one (that I know of) message has a parameter named value, since it is a pretty common word.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,991 Views)
It is reserved for historical reasons. There was a feature that used it in a very early version of TestStand. The feature was obsoleted, but the name had to remain reserved to preserve compatibility with any sequences that might have used the feature.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,988 Views)

Freak,

This is very common to see certain keywords reserved in programming languages and in that regard TestStand is no different. I don't have a list of reserved words off-hand, but how are you getting your values before you do something with them? Would it be possible to just add "myVal_" to the begining of all of your values comming into TestStand, and take it off going out of TestStand. That way you would be working with "myVal_Value" rather than "Value". Using this technique, it wouldn't matter what the reserved words are. So how are you getting the values, and storing them in a way that causes an exception in TestStand?

Richard S -- National Instruments -- (former) Applications Engineer -- Data Acquisition with TestStand
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,957 Views)