Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lvdt connection for usb 6210

How to connect lvdt (sensotec) to USB-6210 DAQ?. LVDT has 6 wires Red, Blue, Black, Brown, Green & Yellow.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,679 Views)
Hi DIW4248,

I would need to know the model number of your sensor to advise you further on the specific connections.  Are you attempting to supply power to the LVDT with the 6210 as well?  I don't know the current requirements of the sensor you have, but I would check that the supply current required does not exceed the maximum current provided by the USB 6210, which is 2mA.

Assuming you are supplying an external supply to power the LVDT, you can use AI0 and AI8 (Terminals 15 and 16) to connect the LVDT differentially to the USB-6210 configured for differential analog input.

Field Wiring and Noise Considerations for Analog Signals
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3344

Regards,
John Bongaarts
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,661 Views)

I'm using the sensotec Model JEC DC-DC Long Stroke LVDT (http://content.honeywell.com/sensing/sensotec/pdf_catalog06/JEC.pdf). Using a 24v 30ma external power source(+ Red, neg Blue). Yellow wire connects to Al 0 and the Black to Al 8. Do I have to joint the rest green and brown?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,656 Views)
Hi DIW4248,

I did not see the brown wire referenced anywhere in the spec sheet.  Is it a ground reference?

From the specs you sent, it looks like the black wire will be floating at 12V because you have used the single supply from 0-24V.  If the yellow wire ranges from 0-10V with respect to this black common wire, it will be at 12-22V with respect to the power supply ground.  If this is the case, which you could check with a DMM, then the common mode voltage of 12V plus the signal would be in excess of the maximum voltage specified in the USB 6210 (+/-10V with respect to ground).  Be careful and make sure this isn't the case.  This may be the cause of inaccurate readings and potential damage to your device.

The green wire should probably just be terminated with some sort of insulation.  It shouldn't need to be connected.
Regards,
John Bongaarts
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,630 Views)