Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to detect missing samples?

Hi,

I have a PCIe-6353.  I'm using C# and .NET 3.5 software to acquire data.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there is a property in one of the data acquisition classes which will tell me if I have missed any samples.

I am currently using the AnalogMultiChannelReader class which does not seem to have any functionality to detect missed samples.

Have not been able to find any information on how to detect missed samples in the DAQmx help file.

Is it possible to detect this condition?  Or do I have a false memory?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,467 Views)

Hello Pajamaman,

There isn't a property that tells you the # of missed samples.  However, there is a real-time property called "Report Missed Samples" which allows you to detect if your read isn't being called fast enough in a hardware-timed single point application. 

This doesn't apply to your typical buffered analog input tasks.  In your typical analog input tasks, you are reading from the buffer and there is no way to "miss samples" without getting an error that the buffer was overwritten.  When calling the read, you will always get the oldest sample of data in the buffer first.  All you need to do is ensure that you are reading enough samples quick enough to keep up with your sampling rate.

Regards,
Paul C.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,447 Views)