Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errors importing MAX .nce configuration

When I try to import my MAX (version 4.5, DAQmx 8.9) configuration file (*.nce) I first get the attached popup stating:

The following products cannot copy to the destination system:

NI-488.2 2.6.0:  Cannot import GPIB settings to system with no GPIB interfaces present.

Continue?

I'm not using or importing anything to do with GPIB.

After clicking "OK",  I try to import and it fails with several errors:

Date:  6/29/2009 11:19:45 AM
User:  Robert
File:  C:\Documents and Settings\Robert\My Documents\Clients\TerraTek\Isotherm\Support Files\Isotherm Tasks.nce
File version:  4.5
MAX version:  4.5

Importing...
========
NI-DAQmx 8.9:
  PCI-6221: "Dev3"
  Samp2
  Ref3
  Samp3
  Ref4
  Samp4
  Line
  Ref1
  Temp
  Samp1
  Ref2
  Isotherm AI
  Isotherm AI/Ref 1
  Isotherm AI/Samp 1
  Isotherm AI/Ref 2
  Isotherm AI/Samp 2
  Isotherm AI/Ref 3
  Isotherm AI/Samp 3
  Isotherm AI/Ref 4
  Isotherm AI/Samp 4
  Isotherm AI/Line
  Isotherm AI/Temp
  Rgas
  Isotherm Rgas
  Isotherm Rgas/Rgas
  Rair
  Isotherm Rair
  Isotherm Rair/VoltageOut
  Isotherm DO
  Isotherm DO/Vs1
  Isotherm DO/Vin1
  Isotherm DO/Vs2
  Isotherm DO/Vin2
  Isotherm DO/Vs3
  Isotherm DO/Vin3
  Isotherm DO/Vs4
  Isotherm DO/Vin4
  Isotherm DO/Vhe
  Isotherm DO/Vtest
Measurements: Task references a local channel that does not exist in this task.

Remove the reference to the missing local channel or create the local channel.
Task Name: Isotherm Rair
Property: Channels
Channel Name: Isotherm Rair/VoltageOut
*** Import FAILED ***
NI-DAQmx 8.9:  error code 0x80004005

I've attached the error report and .nce file as well.

I've seen this same problem on totally unrelated systems and configuration files.  The local channel it complains about changes per import.

Any ideas what's going on or how to get around these problems?

Thanks,

Robert

Robert Mortensen
CLA, CLED, LabVIEW Champion, Principal Systems Engineer, Testeract
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(5,303 Views)

Robert,

When I imported the file it worked just fine.

Does this happen on other computers for you?  Does this computer have some of these items already installed/configured?  What type of computer is this (laptop/desktop/real time/anything else interesting about it)?

Sincerely,
Jason Daming
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/support
Message 2 of 15
(5,290 Views)

I'll try it on another computer.  None of the items are already installed.  This is a laptop.  Nothing very special about it, other than having a lot of NI software and drivers installed.  Any other ideas?

Robert

Robert Mortensen
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(5,287 Views)

Worked fine on another computer.

I tried upgrading NI-488.2 from 2.6 to 2.7, but I still get the same error messages.  The first now reads with the updated GPIB version.  Why should I be getting GPIB error messages?  I didn't think MAX could export or import any GPIB settings.

Robert

Robert Mortensen
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(5,270 Views)

Hi FlammingYawn,

Are you able to import from the same .ini file that you sent me instead of the .nce? and can you import from either file using a simulated device?

You should also make sure that your hardware setup is exactly the same. If you are using many devices in a chassis, the slot order makes a difference so be sure that you have the modules in the same slots they were when you originally created the configuration files. Have a good weekend!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(5,261 Views)

Unfortunately I don't have the .ini file to try.  Can you create and send it to me?

The laptop I'm trying to import on doesn't have the hardware.  I'm attempting to create a simulated device as part of the import.  I get the same errors if I create the simulated device before importing.  Can you find any info on the three errors I'm getting?  Perhaps they can provide some clues as to what's going on.

What do the GPIB guys in R&D say about the weird GPIB message?

Why would I be getting "-201072 Measurements: Task references a local channel that does not exist in this task."?  Aren't I creating the local channel?

What does "NI-DAQmx 8.9:  error code 0x80004005" mean?  I can't find any documentation on it.

Thanks,

Robert

Robert Mortensen
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(5,251 Views)

Robert,

I have tried multiple other computers and cannot reproduce this error.  Unless you can think of anything specific about this computer that seperates it from others I think we will have to assume this is a MAX corruption problem with this computer.

Sincerely,
Jason Daming
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(5,228 Views)

I had four of my coworkers try to import the file.  One with DAQmx 8.7 imported fine, the other three with DAQmx 8.8 all got the same GPIB popup.

After deleting my Data directory, I still get the GPIB popup, but the rest imported OK without error.  Any ideas on the GPIB error?

Thanks,

Robert

Robert Mortensen
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(5,208 Views)

Robert,

This is currently a known issue.  You can check to see if this issue has been fixed or modified by looking for CAR (Corrective Action Request) #148218 in future versions.

The current workarounds for this issue are either to uninstall the 488.2 driver or to have a piece of GPIB hardware installed. 

Does this align with what you have seen so far?  Did the PC with 8.7 either have a GPIB card or not have 488.2 installed?  Did the others all have 488.2 installed? 

I am sorry this has been so much of a hassle for you.

Sincerely,
Jason Daming
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(5,187 Views)

They actually all have 488.2 installed.  The difference seems to be the DAQ version (8.7 vs later).  Thanks for your help.

Robert

Robert Mortensen
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(5,176 Views)