Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interface that converts a Gray code to Position information

I have a position encoder, that outputs a 13 bit gray code. Please suggest a circuit interface that takes this 13 bit gray code as input and outputs the poistion information directly.
thanks
Anshu
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,705 Views)
Anshu,

what do you mean by "that takes this 13 bit gray code as input and outputs the poistion information directly"?
Do you want to convert the gray code to a binary representation?
Do you need a parallel or a serial interface?
What do you want to do with the data? Do you want to read them with a PC?
What's the maximum conversion speed?

Best regards,

Jochen Klier
National Instruments Germany

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,702 Views)
Well Jochen,
I want to process this gray coded output of the encoder by taking that in my processor. I wanted to avoid seeking in a 13 bit number using a parallel interface. So I wanted to know of a module or device or chip that seekd this input and converts this into a position info.

I would preferably use a logic to extract this info. For eg. let us say if we have a 4 bit gray coded output, the minimum of this number is 0000 while the max can be 1111. There are 2^4 numbers given out in one revolution. Hence 360 degrees is divided in 16 parts. My device will observe a change (which will be a proper sequence of numbers) and increment the output by 360/16 degrees.
I hope i made the problem clear,
thanks
Anshu
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,696 Views)
Anshu,

thank you for the information. From NI we could only offer a FPGA based solution for your needs but this would be extremely oversized.
You should search some semiconductor vendors. E. g. LSI might offer such a device. I'm not sure if they have exactly what you are looking for but I know that they have converters and utility chips for a variety of encoder protocols.

I hope that helps,

Jochen
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,694 Views)
Jochen,
Will you be programming the FPGA for this application ? If yes then how will the chip look like? How much will it cost. wat will be the time of delivery. I am based in Bangalore, India. Can you connect me to some guy in bangalore, India.
thanks for your inputs.
rgds
Anshuman 
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,691 Views)
NI doesn't offer FPGAs but plugin boards (R-Series) and backplane systems (cRIO) that provide analog and ditigal I/Os to create sophisticated control solutions. The FPGA can be programmed with LabVIEW FPGA. Of course from a technical point of view these products could do the job but I don't think that this is exactly what you are looking for.

Jochen
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,688 Views)

I have used NI digital I/O cards to convert 14 bit grey code absolute encoder outputs to absolute positions successfully by wiring the outputs two two 8 bit ports and reading the ports and converting the binary gray code to a numeric. You need to make sure you fill the unused lines in the port with boolean false. The application I had could use an inexpensive card due to the slow rate of change but the higher performance cards should let you trigger on data changes at a high rate. The vi for the actual calculation of gray code to binary is on Developer Zone and I am also attaching it.

Regards,

Buddy Haun

CLA

Buddy Haun
Certified Trainer, Former Alliance Member, LabVIEW Champion
Message 7 of 7
(6,407 Views)