Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How use your intergrated laptop webcam on LABVIEW

So I am having trouble acquiring an image from my intergrated webcam. LABVEW 2010 with VISION BUILDER AI, VISION ASSISTANT, the NI-IMAQdx for USB. I have access to mostly all software. I am current using a DELL XPS m1330. I believe the integrated camera is a CREATIVE LABS LAPTOP INTEGRATED WEBCAM.I have check the Measurement and Automation Explorer and the device is not in there. When I check my computer hardware under Device management(Note: not part of labview), I look under the Imaging Devices and my Intergrated Camera is installed. Should the Vision Assistant automatically detect my integrated camera. I have went hands on a LabView symposium several weeks ago and I was able to acquire an image from the intergrated web cam on thier laptop.ANY TIPS?? would help thanks....

trouble.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 24
(13,895 Views)

Since you are talking about an integrated camera, the type of camera they had on  their computer is probably different from yours. So my initial reaction is that your camera might not be directshow compliant and that is why it is not recognized in MAX.

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 24
(13,873 Views)

What do you mean by "NI-IMAQdx for USB"? Are you installing IMAQdx (and if so, what version?) or are you installing the old (unsupported) "IMAQ for USB"?

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 24
(13,868 Views)
bump
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 24
(13,269 Views)

Hi fmagno,

Can you tell me what you are having issues with? Are you having problems acquiring an image from your integrated laptop webcam? What kind of webcam are you using and is it direct show compliant? 

Can you see your camera in Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX) and how are you trying to acquire the image in LabVIEW? Thanks!

Mychal F

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 24
(13,247 Views)

I am Very much intrested in Using Labview vision development module is it possible to use laptop integrated webcam in Labview. Please guide me as i was using it previously in MATLAB easily.

Thanks,

with best regards,

Gagandeep

Gagandeep sharma
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 24
(12,704 Views)

Hi Gagandeep,

In order to acquire from a web camera you will first need Vision Acquisition Software. Ifyou have Vision Development Module you should be licensed for Vision Acquisition Software, you can download it from the link below. Next you will need to make sure your web camera is direct show compatible. Once you have the IMAQdx driver installed from the Vision Acquisition Software you should be able to see you camera within Measurement and Automation Explorer. After you can see the camera in Measurement and Automation Explorer you can start working with it in LabVIEW with the vision palette and examples. 

NI Vision Acquisition Software 2011.09 - Windows 7 x86/XP/Vista/7 64 bit
http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/2625/lang/en

Vision Setup and Services
http://www.ni.com/vision/setup/

Tim O

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 24
(12,691 Views)

Hi Tim O,

I'm able to see my laptop camera detected by MAX and also able to take pictures using MAX but when i try to run Grab and Save to AVI.vi example program its throwing this "Error -1074397163 occurred at IMAQ Init.vi"  Pls help

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 24
(12,664 Views)

Thanks Bro will try this thanks for Suggestion..

Regards,

Goldy

Gagandeep sharma
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 24
(12,655 Views)

Hi +918142355510,

This article discusses common errors, including the one you are seeing: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/3434173630CBC97686256F8000536593?OpenDocument. What interface name shows up for the webcam in MAX? Do you set the VI to the same interface name when running the example? If it works in MAX, you should be able to get it to work in LabVIEW because the same driver calls are being made.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 24
(12,639 Views)