cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

size of 2010SP1 RTE

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello NI,

I have downloaded the SP1 for the run time engine of CVI 2010 (135 MB... for the RTE only!) and was appalled by the resulting file sizes: Rebuilding my last project increased the size of the redistributable files from 14.7 MB to 27.8 MB, i.e. it almost doubled simply due to the new run time?? Smiley Surprised

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23
(5,825 Views)

Hi Wolfgang,

If you're distribution is that small, I assume you have only the "Standard Run-Item" checked under the Drivers & Components tab. Is that correct?

The primary reason for the size increase is that CVI 2010 was missing some VC run-time dependencies from a bare-bones distribution. You can find the sordid details here.

These correspond to bugs 290986 and 291452 in this list.

Luis

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 23
(5,817 Views)

Hey Luis,

sorry for having that small distributions Smiley Wink If it's at any comfort to you, code is a few ten thousand lines Smiley Surprised

For your interest, in the discussed case only the 'Standard Run-Time' and the 'Analysis Support' are checked.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23
(5,802 Views)

Touché. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23
(5,786 Views)

Il n'y a pas de quoi!

But seriously, in my application I didn't need the extra files, the previous distribution was working well and I would very much prefer to not bloat my distribution with superfluous files and libraries: for me small is beautiful

So may be it's possible to further refine the process of distribution building and only include the files that are really needed... (you know my related plea for simplicity/clarity here) Smiley Wink

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 23
(5,782 Views)

Luis,

I have re-read the discussion you have linked but I am not using any Active-X containers... so why is it neccessary to add these VC modules in all cases? Phrased differently, is there a chance to get back to the previous distribution size even with the latest RTE?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23
(5,756 Views)

If you're not including the ActiveX Container Support, there must be some other reason for the size increase. What folders do you have in the bin directory of your built distribution? Also, what is the total size of the bin\dp directory?

Mert A.

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 23
(5,743 Views)

Woflgang,

The linked discussion also addresses a dependency problem with mesa.dll. And this is a component that is needed by the standard CVI run-time. It's probably this that has caused the size increase.

Luis

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 23
(5,740 Views)

<removing duplicate>

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23
(5,737 Views)

Hi Mert,

Thanks for looking into it! I'll prepare the requested information and post it; however, I'll be out of office for the next two and a half weeks so it will happen only then...

Hi Luis,

I've read about the mesa issue. I cannot tell if this lead to the size increase. What I can tell is that my distribution was working properly before, so obviously it did not suffer from the mesa issue. If a distribution works o.k. with half the files it's preferred over a distribution requiring twice the footprint...

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 23
(5,727 Views)