LabWindows/CVI Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wolfgang

project function browser

This is sort of a slight extension of the valuable suggestion by vix (Go to Next/Previ​ous function in source files😞

Right now, in the CVI IDE it is possible to have a function tree of all library functions - for larger projects it might be useful to also have a function browser for all the functions in the current project, thus not only permitting to jump to the next or previous function, as suggested by vix, but also to more easily return to a frequently used function by one mouse click on the function name in the function browser.

Functions could be grouped by file name (typically there is more than one source file in a project), or alphabetically...

5 Comments
LuisG
NI Employee (retired)

Hi Wolfgang,

I'm not sure how the feature you're requesting would be different from the current source code browsing in CVI. You can right-click on a project name in the project tree and select "Browse..." to go the source code browse window, where you will see the list of all functions called from and defined in your project. You can then also browse individual functions in your source code or in the browse window in order to see their call trees and go to they are defined/referenced in the code. Isn't this what you're asking for?

Luis

Wolfgang
Trusted Enthusiast

Hi Luis,

hm... you are right... so what should I do with this suggestion ? Can you delete it?

I have a new suggestion instead 🙂 It is closely related to your answer...

Actually I am using the source code browser, but usually via the menu Window / Source Code Browser. I had the window status released and accordingly closed the window after usage. I do not like to confine it - because all these confined windows (search... source code) end up eating the space below my source code window. The CVI help is a nice example: in the figure given few lines are left for the actual code. Personally I need more room... and with wide screen monitors you have sufficent place left next to your code, but not so much vertically.

So my suggestion would be to allow moving confined windows around, i.e. position the source code browser to the left (or right) of the code window, similar to the workspace window.

Also the variable view could be 'confined', right now the variable window is a floating window. Then the user may arrange the various windows to his/her favorate places.

Wolfgang

LuisG
NI Employee (retired)

Thanks, Wolfgang.

Your new suggestion makes sense and it's definitely something that we've considered before and is in our roadmap. But since that's very different from this original suggestion, I'd rather close this one and open a new one. It will be less confusing that way. Would you mind copying and pasting your last post into a new thread?

Thanks!

Luis

LuisG
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Completed

LuisG
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Already Implemented