LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ptp Synchronization on Windows

Solved!
Go to solution

I am currently using software ptp synchronization to synchronize the time on several RT systems (PXI, cRIO, and RMC) I now need to sync a windows machine on the subnet. Is there a windows program that does ptp synchronization to an RT grandmaster?

Message 1 of 6
(13,087 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author M-A.D

Hello Marcis-Andreis,

the PTP sotfware options for Windows machines are very limited.

As you can see here - http://www.endruntechnologies.com/ptp-slave.htm

Windows XP, 2003, VISTA, Windows 7 (PTPv2 only)
Choices for PTP Slave software on Windows machines are very limited. Windows is not a real-time operating system and synchronization is dependent on the CPU and the operating system version. PTP Slave software is available from Greyware and is called Domain Time II. Your PTP Slave can be synchronized to within one millisecond of the Grandmaster (network topology dependent) using this software.

Plus you can check the list on wiki page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PTP_implementations#Software

The biggest problem is that Widows OS itself is non-deterministic, maybe you should consider using Linux where the options are better.

For Linux you can use popular PTPd package for example, plus you can go for PREEMPT RT, that make you Linux more deterministic.

But everything depends on your application 🙂

Please let me know if I can be helpful here.

Thanks and wish you good luck with your project.

Best regards,

David

Message 2 of 6
(13,038 Views)

Thanks,

I knew the options were limited but I thought there were more than that. We are stuck using windows but since it's not a time critical system we don't really need it.

Thanks for the help,

Marc

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(12,961 Views)

I know this is an old post, but I tried to use the Greyware Domain Time II Full Client 5.2b 20190922 to set up my PC as an IEEE 1588 slave. The cRIO 9035 Sync is the IEEE 1588 master.  Under the IEEE 1588 Precision Time Protocol Options I chose "Only select best master clock from among those listed below" and entered the static IP address of the cRIO 9035. But when I apply changes and closed the Greyware Domain II Full Client I get an error on the icon of the application saying "System Clock not verified - time may be wrong". If I switch to one of the Server Name or IP in the list of public ones the error goes away. I know the 9035 Sync is acting as a master because I have a 9068 that is acting as a slave and working properly. 

Any thoughts on why the PC client is not working?

Director of Engineering
G Systems, www.gsystems.com
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer
Certified Professional Instructor
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(7,869 Views)

Try contacting Greyware support : they are very efficient when it comes to resolve your problems with DTII.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,911 Views)

Thanks that is what I did and they were great help.

Director of Engineering
G Systems, www.gsystems.com
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer
Certified Professional Instructor
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,899 Views)