LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fpga Compile: 'Generic file I/O error

I'm attempting to compile an FPGA project for an R series card to use in Veristand 2011. I used the FPGA creator wizard to get the basic template and modify my IO as directed.

When I attempt to build the project, I get the following error.

'LabVIEW: Generic file I/O error.'
=========================
NI-488: I/O operation aborted.

Error 6 occurred at Write to Text File in
niFpgaCompileWorker_SaveStatus.vi->
niFpgaCompileWorker_Status_Publish.vi->
niFpgaCompileWorker_GetStatus.vi->niFpgaCompile_Worker.vi:1

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: Generic file I/O error.
=========================
NI-488: I/O operation aborted.

C:\NIFPGA\compilation\TheFPGA_FPGATarget_TheFPGA_0E9FD350\BuildResults.lvtxt

My first thought was that the file size was too long. (I had the project buried in a deep heirarchy with a long job number in the name.) I reduced the size of the FPGA project, target, and folder name then moved the project to C:\ . The name shouldn't be an issue now.

Any ideas?
The error is so generic that it doesn't feel very helpful.

Cross reference on Lava Forums: http://lavag.org/topic/15186-fpga-compile-generic-file-io-error/

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,395 Views)

MPCC,

Does this error occur with all FPGA VIs that you try to compile or only this one? Do you see the same behavior when you try to compile a blank VI? Have you been able to successfully compile FPGA code in the past? What changed between then and now? Can you please provide information on your test setup? (version of LV, model number of your R series card, version of NI RIO, version of Xilinx Tools installed) I'd like to check to see if there is a possible compatibility issue. You are correct that this error message is very generic, and doesn't provide much information to aid troubleshooting.

Regards,

Kareem W.
National Instruments
Web Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,360 Views)

I'm using LabVIEW 2011

The card is a PXI-7841R

I have NI-RIO 4.0

My FPGA XLinx tools is a bit odd and may actually be my issue. When I run the installer, it tells me that no software will be installed.However, when I check MAX, I don't see anything about LabVIEW FPGA Xlinx tools. (The install file that I have is 12.4)

As far as my setup goes, I'm trying to compile a custom FPGA profile for the PXI-7841R with an expansion chassis.

My colleague was able to compile the code and add it to a project so I know that it is something on my machine.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,347 Views)

Your version of Xilinx Tools will definitely impact your ability to compile code. For LV FPGA 2011, please make sure you have Xilinx Tools 12.4 installed. You can verify this by navigating the following path on your development system: C:\NIFPGA\programs. Within the programs folder, make sure that there is a folder named Xilinx12_4.

Just so that I'm clear, is the expansion chassis a 9151? Does the HW setup match between the two systems? In order to compile this code without updating, the HW in your system must match that on your colleague's system. This is because the FPGA coding is HW specific.

When you initially started, did you begin with your colleague's project and then add your HW to the project? You have to make sure that the code that you are trying to run is targeting you HW, not your colleague's. (i.e. you have to make sure that the code points to your FPGA VI and the IO in your chassis.)

Regards,

Kareem W.
National Instruments
Web Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,340 Views)

"is a folder named Xilinx12_4."

- Yes the folder does exist on my system.

"is the expansion chassis a 9151?"

- yes, with a 9265 card installed.

"Does the HW setup match between the two systems?"

- Yes, sort of. He has simulated all of the hardware on his system, then passed the bitfiles back to me.

"When you initially started, did you begin with your colleague's project and then add your HW to the project?"

- No. I started with the custom FPGA personality wizard on my stand, linked the system to my hardware and attempted to compile. My coleague then took the project, duplicated my hardware on his system (same device IDs) and compiled without an issue.

Than being said, he also was able to add the FPGA personality to Veristand. When I used his bitfile, I recieved an error while adding it to Veristand.

I am on Veristand 2011.

Although, I think that I should work out this compile issue before I move into the Veristand issue which is another layer of complexity.

Thanks!

- Mike

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,333 Views)

Mike,

Because your colleague is able to take the exact same files and HW and compile successfully, I believe that you are correct that the issue lies with your system setup. Does this error occur with all FPGA VIs that you try to compile (e.g. A simple FPGA example) or only this particular code? Do you see the same behavior when you try to compile a blank VI? Have you been able to successfully compile FPGA code in the past on this system? What changed between then and now?

If you are unable to compile a blank VI on your system, then there may be an issue with your SW installation. If this is the case, I recommend that you first repair your installations of LabVIEW 2011, the FPGA module, the Real TIme module, and the NI RIO 4.0 driver in that order. Please make sure to reboot your system after each repair completes.

If you are able to compile either a blank VI or other FPGA code, but just not this particular code, let me know - I'm going to have to research that one.

I also agree that the Veristand issue should be handled separately, and will actually be handled through a different forum.

Regards,

Kareem W.
National Instruments
Web Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,309 Views)

alright I created a new FPGA project for the R series card that I am using and put a blank VI in it.

I then pointed to the blank VI and built. I received the same error.

Project.png

I'll attempt the repair my installations and go from there.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,306 Views)

Ok we figured it out!

It was my Virus scan. We shut down the user agent and everything compiled like a dream.

Thanks for your support on this!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,290 Views)

Mike,

Glad to hear that you are up an running again!! Enjoy your holiday weekend.

Regards,

Kareem W.
National Instruments
Web Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,286 Views)