LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

desktop configuration

I am planning to build a desktop for controlling my electrostatic accelerator through LabVIEW controlled programmable High Voltage Power supplies, also I will use the desktop for experimental  data acquisition through LabVIEW software. I listed my current choice of desktop and gpib board as follows.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/new-inspiron-desktop/spd/inspiron-3670-deskto...

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/1233

Does anyone have experience in selecting the Desktop and GPIB board.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,508 Views)

I leave you my 2 cents here, atomiclaser:

Make sure the machine has the correct bay/slot/port for your board. New computers usually don't have PCI but PCIe, so it's highly possible your PCI card would not fit. More information here: Select the Right PC for Your PCI Express Hardware

I recommend you explore PCIe options and make sure they are compatible with your computer's slots. Moreover, you can also use a USB-GPIB card, which will give you more flexibility in this sense.

What are you controlling by GPIB? I guess having more specifications about your application can help the community provide better insight.

All the best,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,481 Views)

Hi, oscarfonseca

Thank you for your reply. We are use GPIB to control some high voltage power supplies. 

Yes, PCIe is also a choice for us. What kind of computer did you use with PCIe? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,475 Views)

atomiclaser,

I think at this point is difficult to find a new computer that has a PCI slot: "Since then, motherboard manufacturers have included progressively fewer Conventional PCI slots in favor of the new standard. Many new motherboards do not provide conventional PCI slots at all, as of late 2013." - Conventional PCI

The computer's manufacturer must indicate the type of PCIe slot that the computer has (usually in a document similar to a specifications sheet). Find more information about PCIe here: Everything You Need to Know About the PCI Express. On the other hand, NI's hardware will mention which PCIe bus they use in their specification sheet. For example: The PCIe-GPIB will use a PCIe x1 - see pages 6 and 37 of the specifications sheet.

All the best,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,469 Views)

Hi  Oscar,

Thank you for your suggestions.

As said ""A little-known fact is that you can install any PCI Express expansion card in any PCI Express slot. For example, you can install an x1 expansion card in any kind of PCI Express slot; it doesn’t need to be installed in an x1 slot. So, if you have an x4 expansion card but your motherboard doesn’t have an x4 PCI Express slot, no problem; simply install it in an x8 or x16 slot."  " The same holds true for “bigger” cards. For example, you can install an x16 video card in a “smaller” slot. (The slot, however, must have its rear side open;" ( Everything You Need to Know About the PCI Express.) So, I think I don't have to worry about physical size of slots on the computer mother board since nowdays all are designed for PCIe standard.

All the external cable connector (a bunch of pins) of PCIe expansion card are with same standard, right?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,463 Views)

atomiclaser,

The PCIe expansion slots must follow the specifications dictated by the PCI-SIG consortium.

The different physical sizes allow for different numbers of simultaneous data pin connections to the motherboard: the larger the port, the more maximum connections on the card and the port. - Why Are the PCI Express Ports on My Motherboard Different Sizes? x16, x8, x4, and x1 Explained

All the best,

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,451 Views)

Thanks, it is a good solution.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,378 Views)