LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't assign xcontrol as terminal

Historically, we can easily assign any instance of xcontrol to a terminal pin but LV2011 changed all that.  I have to deactivate the xcontrol just to assign it to terminal then reactivate it.  This is very inconvenient because I have tons of xcontrol instances that I need to work with.  Is there a setting somewhere in LV2011 that wil allow me to assign xcontrol to a terminal without this hassle?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,156 Views)

What is the meaning of "deactivate"? (this term is typically used with licensing).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,148 Views)

correct activate/deactivate to: lock/unlock for editing

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,142 Views)

Hi,

I am not aware of this behavior being changed between LabVIEW  2010 and LabVIEW  2011, I am putting together a simple example to see if the behavior changes between the two versions.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,103 Views)

Jeff,

Could you please check into LV2008 (v8.6) too?  I just swapped from version 2008 (8.6) to 2011.  In 8.6, we never have to unlock the xcontrol for editing before assigning it to a terminal while 2011 requires it.  This is very inconvenient and not user friendly when you have tons of xcontrol instances to work with. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,092 Views)

Hi,

I was able to recreate the behavior you described. In 2010 after dropping an xcontrol on the front panel I can connect it to a terminal, but in 2011 I have to unlock the xcontrol before I can connect it to a terminal. I am checking to see why this was changed and if there is an option to change the behavior back.

Regards

Message 6 of 13
(3,074 Views)

This issue has been escalated to R&D and CAR 334784 has been logged regarding this. There is no option to change this behavior.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention,

Message 7 of 13
(3,052 Views)

Hi Jeff,

Five years laer and I'm running into the same problem.... is there a solution?

Rgds,

Seán

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(2,906 Views)

Hey Sean,

At this time, the only way to link an xcontrol to the VI terminal is still to unlock the xcontrol and link it while unlocked. We have this requested change on file under the CAR number further up-thread, but no change related to this behavior has been implemented.

Regards,

Cason

NI Applications Engineer

Cassandra Longley
Senior Technical Support Engineer - FlexRIO, High Speed Serial and VRTS
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(2,891 Views)

Gee, I can't connect an xcontrol to a VI terminal regardless of whether it is locked or not (LV 2016).

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(2,885 Views)