LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would you create a property node

Hi,

I have been working with an instrument driver that deals extensively with property nodes. I have never worked with them before and their purpose is a bit unclear to me. What is the programming reasoning behind property nodes and what kind of applications are they useful for?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,072 Views)

Right-click on any of the property nodes and select "Help For Property Node."  This is a very important LabVIEW concept.  It allows you to manipulate the properties of a control programattically.  For instance, you could change a control's enabled property to gray it out.

[edit]

Actually, it is called the "disabled" property.  Go figure.  😉

[/edit]

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 2 of 3
(2,068 Views)

I'd have to see the code to see exactly what they are doing with it.  But Property Nodes can do all kinds of fun things.  They set/get the properties of a control/indicator, VI, VISA Session, DAQmx Task, DAQmx Channel, etc.  They are often abused to set the value to a control/indicator, which is not a proper way of using them.  The most common thing I do with property nodes is to disable and gray out a control to keep users from playing with a control when I don't won't them to.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 3 of 3
(2,061 Views)