LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is eligible to use the Labview 8 student edition?

Who is eligible to use the Labview 8 student edition? Can an individual who is not in school or affiliated with a learning institution purchase and register it for the purpose of learning at home?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,810 Views)
The order page is here and at the bottom it says: "Note: The LabVIEW Student Edition is available to students, faculty, and staff for personal educational use only. It is not intended for research, institutional, or commercial use." I see that you have posted previous LabVIEW questions and if you are using it at work, it is legal to install it at home as well.

Message Edited by Dennis Knutson on 09-13-2006 10:10 AM

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,800 Views)

@Dennis Knutson wrote:
I see that you have posted previous LabVIEW questions and if you are using it at work, it is legal to install it at home as well.

Just to clarify that comment: If you have a licensed copy of LabVIEW at work, you are allowed to install it also on one (exactly one!) computer at home.

The license terms have slighly changed over the last couple of version, so you should carefully read the software license and release notes that corresponds to your version. It's all right there in black and white. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,791 Views)

Hi and thanks for the replies.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I still am not sure of the answer to my question about the Student Edition . Maybe it hinges on what the word staff means in this case?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,782 Views)

@LabTech wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I still am not sure of the answer to my question about the Student Edition . Maybe it hinges on what the word staff means in this case?

I would interpret "staff" in the most general case. If you are employed by an educational institution, and not student or faculty, your'e probably "staff". 🙂

The main restriction on the student edition is in its use. You can only use it for personal educational use and not for research. For research in a lab, you need to get the real LabVIEW. See e.g. point #4 in the FAQ: http://www.ni.com/labviewse/labviewse_faq.htm ).

Still, the educational discounts are great (75% on single copy software: http://www.ni.com/academic/edu_dsct.htm ).

Message Edited by altenbach on 09-13-2006 10:02 AM

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,778 Views)
Thanks again for the replies.

I am being very specific now:Smiley Happy

Can an individual who is not in school or affiliated with a learning institution in any way, who may or may not be employed by a company that has a license for Labview, purchase, register, and use the Student Edition for the purpose of learning on their own?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,764 Views)
The problem is that I was trying to be as specific (or nonspecific) as the available written information I could find.

Places such as http://www.academicsuperstore.com/market/marketdisp.html?PartNo=752412&qk_srch=labview usually require proof of academic affiliation when you try to order (e.g. photocopy of student ID). If you look at the eligibility requirements listed there (table on the right), even "homeschool", "preschool" are OK  while teachers and faculty are not. This seem to contradict the NI statements.

I don't think anyone here can speak for NI, so I would contact your sales representative or call NI directly. Good luck! 😄

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,753 Views)
Hello,
The LabVIEW Student Edition is first, and foremost, for student use. You must be a student attending an affiliated/accredited academic institution. It is primarily for personal student use. Commercial, institutional, research, or professional use is strictly prohibited. The reason faculty/staff is mentioned in the FAQ is for expressedly training/evaluation purposes to help them adopt LabVIEW in a course. So as you can see, all usage is related to academic.

Labtech, to answer your exact question, the license/terms of the LabVIEW Student Edition will not provide the proper usage rights. I would recommend looking at our commercial version of LabVIEW available at ni.com/labview. You can also evaluate LabVIEW online, without having to install it on your computer, at http://www.ni.com/trylabview/ .

I hope this clarifies LabVIEW Student Edition. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Anu Saha
Academic Product Manager
National Instruments
Anu Saha
Academic Product Marketing Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,733 Views)