cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wait icon showing in boolean array to number

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

Can anyone shed a little light on an extra little chunk of icon that I'm getting on a 'boolean array to number' function?

I seem to be getting a small 'wait' icon superimposed in the corner. The context help entry seems the same and the functionality seems the same (as far as I can tell).

The piece of code I'm using was converted from a newer version to V8.5 but other than that should have nothing unusual about it.

The image below shows the offending icon with another that is fresh off the palette next to it.

unknown icon.PNG

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

All the best,

Ian

Message 1 of 6
(3,251 Views)

Hello Ian,

This is the first time I have seen this icon adaptationion in LabVIEW.  I have started trying to reproduce the issue by creating a simple VI in LabVIEW 2009 and converting it for LabVIEW 8.5.  The icon has not appeared.

The 'Boolean array to number.vi' has properties associated with it.  You can right click on the VI in the Block Diagram and select 'Properties'.  Some options are activated depending your prefered representation.  For example, when using Fixed Point (FXP) you have the option to select a 'Desired Delta'.  Desired Delta could imply a time function. 

Which version of LabVIEW did you convert down from?

Is the VI running on a Windows target? Which version?

What number data type are you converting the boolean array to?

Regards,

George T.
Senior Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK and Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,191 Views)

Hi George,

I think that this piece of code was originally created by someone else in 8.6. As I don't have 8.6 I used an eval version of 2009 to back save it to version 8.5. Thats the only thing I can think of that is unusual about the code.

I'm just running a straightforward version of Windows XP pro on my desktop PC - nothing unusual.

The code is converting to a U32 and I'm then converting to a U8 (although I should probably just make the output U8 to start with!)

I would add that this isn't causing me any problems - I just couldn't figure out what it was and if it was better or worse than the normal icon.

All the best,

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,169 Views)

Hello Ian,

I have tried different kinds save to previous versions, however, I could not get this icon to reappear. For the moment this will have to remain unanswered, however, if I come across the answer, I will post back.

Regards,

George T.
Senior Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK and Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,120 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author _Ian_
The erroneous icon has to do with Save for Previous and the new "Sign Extension Modes" right-click menu options that were added to this function on FPGA diagrams in LabVIEW 8.6 and later.  The bug was reported as CAR# 122749 and should be fixed in a future LabVIEW release.  Apparently the function may return incorrect values when it has a weird icon, so I'd recommend deleting it and dropping a new one just in case.
Message 5 of 6
(3,096 Views)

Thanks Darren and George.

I will replace and relax, safe in the knowledge that I'm not changing anything and may indeed be improving it!

Cheers

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,064 Views)