LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfering data between threads

What is the best way to transfer data between 2 or more individually running threads?  Like say you have 2 threads running the first thread continuous processes data and sends it to the second thread which formats and graphs the data.  I know globals are an option, but I also know that they may not be the most efficient option.  Any thoughts on this are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,368 Views)
I prefer using Queues, see the producer/consumer model provided as a template with LV 7.0 and above.  I would avoid globals, and use a synchronization technique unless the loops are asynchronous (then maybe just use a local variable),
Paul
Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
Message 2 of 5
(2,363 Views)
Yes I agree with using queues when the threads are in the same vi, but what about when you have threads in seperate vi's altogether?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,361 Views)
The threads need not be in the same vi at all to use queues, you can create a queue in one vi and pass it as a reference to many subvi's and use just the same I will attach an example later.  If we were limited ro a single vi we would be in a bunch of trouble.

Paul
Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Message 4 of 5
(2,358 Views)
Here is an example in 7.0,  I use this format often.  Sorry about the sloppy coding but its lunch time and the only free time i had to fit this example in, hope it helps. 
Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Message 5 of 5
(2,353 Views)