From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDMS on Mac

I can't seem to find the tdms (nor tdm )file functions on the mac version of labview 8.2.1 (on OS X 10.4.10). It's been reinstalled twice (uninstalled using the shell script on the installation DVD). If I load up a VI that uses the tdms files that I've created in windows, the icons for the TDMS functions show up but labview complains about unwired inputs (even if there are none). I'm guessing that tdms just may not be support on mac os x.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(8,688 Views)
Matt,
I found a couple of Corrective Action Requests (CARs) in the database saying that the tdms file functions do not work properly with MAC/Linux OS.  This is targeted to be fixed in future releases of LabVIEW, and is a known issue.  I apologize for the inconvenience, and good luck with your applications.

CAR ID# 3ZDD5P7X
CAR ID# 3Q2CL5RM

Reggie Rector ¦ Applications Engineer ¦ National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(8,675 Views)

Hi Matt,
I have some information that could be useful regarding the TDM files.  The technology behind TDM is a DLL and DLLs are not supported on Mac or Linux thus we do not have support on these platforms for now.  NI currently does not support TDM on Mac or Linux but this is something we are investigating for the future. I hope this gives you insight into the issue.

reggier

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(8,641 Views)
I believe the Mac and Linux equivalent to .dll's is .so files (there might be some key differences I'm unaware of though). I figured the problem was due to the only the PC having NI USI support. I was hoping that since the TDMS functions are separate from the storage vi's that it wouldn't have a NI USI dependency (I don't know if it does or doesn't). I've worked around my problem for now (by converting the files on a windows computer first).
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(8,631 Views)
Do you specifically need TDM (or TDMS) or do you have an application which needs more speed/flexibility/hierarchy than a simple text file?  There are lots of options if we know what you are trying to do.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(8,616 Views)

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/6471

I don't know if you are still experiencing issues.  Above is a link to a free download to a VI based TDMS API.  This allows use on all platforms which LabVIEW is supported.  Hope this helps.

- MD

Message 6 of 15
(8,538 Views)

Does Labview 2009 now have native TDMS support?

I read through the release notes etc., and there're hints of TDMS on Mac, but it's unclear. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(8,104 Views)
LabVIEW 2009 doesn't have native support for TDMS, except the VI-based TDMS functions.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(8,068 Views)

YongqingYe wrote:
LabVIEW 2009 doesn't have native support for TDMS, except the VI-based TDMS functions.

What in the world does that mean?!  Are the TDMS functions supported on the Mac platform for 2009?  Is there any possibility that this will be supported in the near term?  If not, this incredible format has been rendered unfortunately useless due to the proliferation of Macs in our group.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(7,984 Views)
I'm afraid you can't use the TDMS primitive nodes  (which are in programming->file I/O->TDM Streaming palette) in LabVIEW on Mac, but you can still use G-based TDMS nodes. That is to say, you can still write and read TDMS files on Mac with the basic functionalities.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(7,945 Views)