LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TC-01 communication in one program disrupts serial communication in another

I added a TC-01 read in one program that causes another program to lose communication with a serial device (Keithley 6487 Picoammeter).  Both programs are written in LabVIEW.  The TC-01 is a USB device and the serial device is connected using a USB-serial converter.  Can you suggest something fundamental that I've missed that could cause this phenomenon?

Thank you.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,879 Views)

USB Arbitration / USB Host issues? How many USB ports do you have / are you using any hubs? What is the chipset of the USB-serial converter - some of them are notoriously unreliable (e.g. I've had one cause bluescreens...it's not unreasonable that it might cause problems with other devices).

You could try connecting one to a different USB port as it might be on a different controller (e.g. some motherboards have the USB controller on the southbridge and then there is an additional 3rd party controller for additional ports).

It could also be a power issue - perhaps you could try a powered hub (although hubs usually make things worse, not better).

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,871 Views)

What is a "TC-01 read"?  Are you talking about the NI USB-TC01 Thermocouple Measurement Device?  Does it appear (in MAX) as a VISA device?  I assume your other serial device (which, I gather, is also plugged into a USB port via the USB/Serial converter) also appears as a VISA device.  Is there some code you could show us?  [I'll spare you my "rant" about attaching code, not pictures ...].

I'm also confused by how adding a read "in one program" causes "another program to lose communication with a serial device".  Now that I re-read your Post, it sounds more like plugging in the TC-01 clobbers the earlier program, is that right?  Or does running the TC-01 program render the second program non-operational?  What is the sequence that causes the problem?  What can you do to clear it?  [Does a log off help?  A reboot?]

Are you plugging these two USB devices into the same USB controller?  Using a Hub?  Does either (or both) get power from the USB line, and could that cause a problem?  Might this be a "hardware issue"?  [We Software Guys almost always blame the Hardware ...].

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,865 Views)

Yeah my only suggestion would be as others have said, port selection.  If they are both plugged in directly to the motherboard then that probably isn't it, but I'd try a few port combinations maybe with a hub.  If you are on a shared hub can you slow down the DAQ rate of the TC01?  Temperature is probably slow anyway and a single point once a second is probably sufficient.

Oh and also not all USB-232 adapters are the same.  I've had some inconsistency issues with some that are plugged into hubs when using some of the cheaper ones.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,829 Views)