LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard Bookmark Tags

I'm starting to like the bookmark manager more and more, and the more I use it the more I like it.  The problem is developers aren't using it, and one complaint I see is that there is no standard set of tags to use which mean specific things.  The most obvious one used and is pretty self explanatory is the #todo.  But what I want to see here is a discussion on the various bookmark tags you've seen used, and to get some kind of list going.  Even if you only ever saw a tag used once I'm curious to hear if others like the tag being used for this purpose or not.  

The intention is some day when I have free time (more free time than it takes to just post a question) I could make a QuickDrop plugin (or now right click) that gives the developer a chance to add a comment, starting with that specific tag.  So imagine the user right clicks a comment on the BD, and chooses Bookmark >> TODO and BAM there is a #todo.  Or if they invoke QuickDrop CTRL+C then a dialog comes up showing the standard bookmark tags with a possible explanation of when to use them, and picking one drops a comment that starts with that.  

This could be made flexible to add new tags, but for now I just wanted to hear how others have used the tags.

#todo - A portion of code that is not yet complete, and needs to be finished before the next release.

#question - Code that was implemented one way but could be done differently if more information is provided on the specifics of the requirement.

#assumption - Code that was developed in one way with an assumption to a requirement that could be interpreted different ways.

#changed - A portion of code that was implemented differently than from the written requirements.  This might be because of contradicting requirements.

#reviewed - Code that has been reviewed with suggestions of code changes.

#implemented - Code that has been reviewed, and updated based on the suggested changes.

#simplify - Code that appears overly complicated and could use refactoring, or simplification

Message 1 of 28
(5,443 Views)

I like where you're going with this. I definitely don't use bookmarks enough, or in a fashion that makes it easy to navigate later.

A specific way I used to utilize them when I worked with multiple developers was:

#James Finalize command structure to ...

#Chris Implement IMAQ analysis of ...

#Crystal Implement CSV parsing for data files and...

I'm not sure of another way to easily assign tasks to developers.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 28
(5,431 Views)

I put a #[SW Number][Rev] tag when I make changes.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 3 of 28
(5,412 Views)

Okay a couple of interesting uses that I never thought of.

@James

Do you have any bug tracking system outside of this?  We already have a system of assigning work that integrates well with out SCC, which might be why I never thought about using it.  

I guess along those lines you could easily make a tag that is the logged in user name, but still I think who developed the work could be tracked with SCC, assuming one is used.  Eh I could see it being an option.  

This might be a better option, so in my first post I mentioned a list of standard tags that could be used.  What if my quick drop call looked at all the bookmarks used in the current project and listed all the unique ones?  Then you could perform quick drop, see a list of developer names with work assigned, and pick one.  Of course there would be a decent amount of overhead reading the unique tags, and the list would be ever changing.  But even so this idea could apply to tags that aren't developer names too.

@jcarmody

Again another use I never thought of.  Does this get to be complicated looking at the bookmark manager?  Seeing a bunch of tags dealing with when a new feature was added?  Did you go back and find that to be useful information to look up often?

I think what I'm hearing is that sets of tags might also be useful for different parts of the development process.  I think my tags were more targeted towards the first half of the V model (with some about review on the right of the V), James was more toward the bottom of the V, and jcarmody was more on releases at the end of the V.  Does having an option to categorize, and select tags from different parts of the development cycle make sence?  Like if I perform a quickdrop would a tree control be better?  Or a nested right click menu?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 28
(5,373 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@James

Do you have any bug tracking system outside of this?  We already have a system of assigning work that integrates well with out SCC, which might be why I never thought about using it.  

I think what I'm hearing is that sets of tags might also be useful for different parts of the development process.  I think my tags were more targeted towards the first half of the V model (with some about review on the right of the V), James was more toward the bottom of the V, and jcarmody was more on releases at the end of the V.  Does having an option to categorize, and select tags from different parts of the development cycle make sence?  Like if I perform a quickdrop would a tree control be better?  Or a nested right click menu?

I think just having a set of tags at all would be helpful and keep you from mis-typing, etc. If I could right-click and see a list of the tags in my current project, and then select one to be used, that would be ideal. It would be nice to have a set of pre-defined tags and the current project tags, but then you're running out of room.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 28
(5,365 Views)

I've also been using #todo quite a bit since bookmarks came out.  It makes it even easier to develop shareable templates and frameworks.  I also use #note for general information about calculations, hardware assumptions, etc...

The one I just started using last week was #Requirment <req_id> to link my labview code to a requirements document.  I even found that the NI Requirements Gateway helps a ton with this by automatically linking any requirements with the same tag from the requirments document to the code so you can see where you stand.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 28
(5,344 Views)
How about #Broken for things I know need to be reimplemented or finished or are dummied up.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 28
(5,327 Views)

I put the requirements paragraph so I can easily show exactly where the requirements are covered.  Also, by doing some fancy footwork, you can pull in the bookmarks and almost have your SDD write itself.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 28
(5,316 Views)

#[Covers: <req-id>]

Used this doing the CLA exams - gives a handy list of all the 'covers' tags you have for cross-checking & locating. I'm sure (as a few have already commented) this has wider use where Requirements Gateway is used.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 28
(5,246 Views)

I think the #Covers is more of a standard way of stating a requirement is covered, than #Requirement, again using Requirements Gateway as a semi-standard method.  Is there a prefered format?  Obviously a space will end the bookmark so what would be prefered #Covers_R123 or #Covers R123 or #[Covers: R123] or #[Covers:R123]?  My worry is that on a project with 1000's of requirements that you then get 1000s of unique tags, when it might be more useful to categorize them into all the tags that cover requirments.  If that is the case I would prefer ther #Covers R123 format.

I think I like prefer #note over #assumptions.

And while they can mean different things, I think I prefer #todo over #broken.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 28
(5,206 Views)