LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting tabbing order of FP Controls through VI scripting

Have a bunch of VIs that have the Tabbing order of their FP controls all messed up.

Looking for a way to set the tab order of items programmatically through VI scripting. 

I found that I can set the flag to "skip when tabbing", but can't find a way to set the actual tab order through VI Scripting.

Any hints/suggestions (other than just manually going through every VI and doing it by hand through edit >> Set Tabbing Order).

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,475 Views)

I couldn't see anything, but I did find this old post - http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Dr-Damien-s-Development-Programmatic-Tab-Order/m-p/819798

It makes me think you couldn't do what you're looking for, back in 2008.  Maybe something has changed.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,461 Views)

I think what you are going to want to use is the cluster method "Set Cluster Order"

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361M-01/lvscript/cluster_set_cluster_order/

The Controls[] property will return an array of references to all controls in the cluster and you should be able to simply reorder the array to whatever you want. I think that last part is easier said than done.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 3 of 10
(4,420 Views)

The problem is I'm not dealing with clusters.  I'm dealing with individual items directly on the front panel of a SubVI. 

Message 4 of 10
(4,376 Views)

I don't think there is a way to programmatically reorder the controls on a panel.

Message 5 of 10
(4,369 Views)

@warren_scott wrote:

The problem is I'm not dealing with clusters.  I'm dealing with individual items directly on the front panel of a SubVI. 

I was pretty optimistic after finding the method below but after trying to use it I would agree with Darren.

What.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,360 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,341 Views)

Thanks for the help.  I'll give up this hope for now.

Created Idea Exchange entry

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Add-ability-to-programmatically-set-tabbing-order-of-c...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,323 Views)

I gave a kudo to the idea and would like to see the functionality added but also went ahead and created CAR 583035: Front Panel Method "Set Panel Order" Returns Error 1072.

I don't think it's technically a bug (the error tells you exactly why you cannot use the method after all) but it is my personal opinions that if it doesn't work it probably shouldn't be there.

Message 9 of 10
(4,311 Views)

Sadly, there are tons of properties/methods in VI Server that show up in the list, but return error 1072 when run. 😞

Granted, most of them are private and not public/scripting like this one is. I bet the CAR will be "fixed" by marking the method as private.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,305 Views)